Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3" HiVi speaker project Thanks Zaph!
3" HiVi speaker project Thanks Zaph!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2008, 11:37 AM   #1
hybridfiat is offline hybridfiat  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default 3" HiVi speaker project Thanks Zaph!

Yayyyy Ive finished my first speakers. The Hi-Vi B3S single driver system. The speakers were sourced from Darcheraudio.com (thanks Daniel), the xover components from Jaycar and the timber is chestnut milled from a tree felled in a mates backyard.
The speakers sound sweet. They do need a sub-woofer so I jury-rigged a sub using my M&K amp and a Sony boom box nicked from my son's car.
Thes little speakers really sound mint.
My pics are too big to post directly so the links are below.

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=DSC02412.jpg

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=DSC02413.jpg
Old 8th July 2008, 05:02 PM   #2
squib is offline squib  United States
diyAudio Member

The chestnut looks great! What species? It is a shame a blight in the 1920's wiped out most of the American Chestnut in the US. The wood is light, strong and has such a distinctive grain. Hope you enjoy your speakers.

Squib
Old 9th July 2008, 02:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

We know it as Spanish Chestnut. The variety that has very spiney seed cases and edible chestnuts. Castanea sativa I think.
Old 14th July 2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Willitwork is offline Willitwork  Canada
diyAudio Member

Beautiful cabs!

Do you get decent HF performance with those drivers? I was always a bit intrigued by those, they're very different from other Hi-Vi drivers in that they don't seem to be based on existing designs.
Old 30th July 2008, 04:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback.
Sorry Willitwork Im not sufficiently experienced in Hifi to make an educated objective judgement about the little HiVi 3" drivers. This is why we are privileged to have people like Zaph and Jay to do the ground work.
All I can say is that Im happy with the sound quality and that they seem to deliver the goods within their inherent limitations.

3" HiVi speaker project Thanks Zaph!Hide this!Advertise here!