Mystery Electro-Voice 3-way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings wise men and women.

These speaker cabinets were part of a large console thrown away at the dump where I work yesterday.

The main console had a turntable and a reciever--"E-V 1177". I plucked the reciever.

The two speparate speaker cabinets weighs 75 Lbs each. Internal dimensions: 24 1/4" H, 17 3/4"W and 16 5/8" deep.

Speakers: TW 35 VHF Driver, Wolverine, 40 Watts Peak, 8 ohms.
EV MR10A 8 ohms
LS 12 A Full range Loudspeaker, Wolverine, 40 watts
8 ohms.

Inside the cabinet, 3 faces are covered with "fiberglass". There is no crossover, the speakers are connected to "T1 & T2" on the LS 12.

They work. They seem to have amazing treble and mid, but lack bass.

Have a look at the pictures to follow.

Since the only identifying marks on the speaker cabinets are "46" written in black marker on the back of each, anyone know what model these would be? Any idea why there is no crossover? Would a duct/port improve bass response?

I listened to bits of Beethoven's 5th, Strapping Young Lad, Astor Piazzolla, and Waking Life Soundtrack. They do sound "good".

Let me know what you think.

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Brian

Attachments

• frontcab.jpg
    frontcab.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 306
Nice score! Perhaps the crossovers were in the electronics package as opposed to the usual route of putting them in the speaker cabinets themselves?

I caution not to run full range power (containing bass energy) to the mid and high horns! It would be easy to damage their drivers.

I think that 12 inch Wolverine is considered a wide (full) range speaker all by itself and would likely have very high efficiency. I have a similar pair of solo 12 inchers from EV that are very flea power tube amp friendly in 4 cu ft BR boxes.

Hi,

to work well they must use a crossover of some sort. You risk
destroying the mid and treble drivers, fit capacitors at least.

The cabinet appears to have an open duct below the 12".

TBH the mix of drivers is strange, 12" twin cone would normally
only need the tweeter adds, not the mid horn, the mid horn
suiting a more robust bass driver.

Some capacitors and L-pads may improve matters.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.