Idea for modifiying a center channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess i am looking for some input on this idea/project.

If i were to split up an existing center channel (2 mids and tweet) and build 2 enclosures for the mids and a small one for the tweet. This is to place the 2 woofers on the left and right of the receiver and have the tweeter placed just above. The crossover would be in one of the woofers and the signal divided up that way to each of the other speakers. The woofer enclosures would be 1/2 the total internal volume of the original.

I want to do this to try and get it even and centered in the setup and to have a project to work on.

This is more for my parents so SQ does not really matter that much, they just need a center channel and my mom really distastes having anything sticking out and what not.

We dont have the center channel yet, so i was going to look at getting a damaged speaker from somewhere and just see what happens.

So what problems do you see me having with a division like this? reasonable idea?

Yeah, between the tweeter being so acoustically far away from each mid through the XO BW and the parallax error if not sitting dead on axis, this will probably sound bad enough that she may have wished letting well enough alone as speech intelligibility will be heavily compromised, which us older folks have enough trouble with already.

GM

GM said:
Yeah, between the tweeter being so acoustically far away from each mid through the XO BW and the parallax error if not sitting dead on axis, this will probably sound bad enough that she may have wished letting well enough alone as speech intelligibility will be heavily compromised, which us older folks have enough trouble with already.

GM

Thanks for the nudge away from it. The more i have been thinking about it the less it sounds good. Hmm. now i gotta figure something else out, maybe a stand or something for behind and above the tv.

Thanks for the help!

I want to do this to try and get it even and centered in the setup and to have a project to work on.

Your idea would work if the extended distances between the M and T drivers were considered i.e. the XO between T and M must be at a lower frequency in order to preserve a wide dispersion.

Tip: Use Svantes Xdir program at http://www.tolvan.com/xdir to evaluate the impact when using different distances in a M-T- M set-up.

b

1(1)

Attachments

• m-t-m_mod.gif
    m-t-m_mod.gif
    98.5 KB · Views: 83
ccdoggy said:

Thanks for the nudge away from it. The more i have been thinking about it the less it sounds good. Hmm. now i gotta figure something else out, maybe a stand or something for behind and above the tv.

Thanks for the help!

A stand with an integrated speaker works well for any size TV. If the tv is smaller you can just put the center on a stand next to it and close to the screen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.