Can someone do me a solid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not the most experienced at crossover design, and I'm hoping someone can both check my work, and let me cheat off their paper. I need a crossover between the following two drivers:

Tweeter: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=276-152

Woofer:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-828

I know there is no picture for the Audax tweeter because it has been discontinued, but all the data is there.

I actually selected these drivers for more superficial reasons than just their sound quality or abilities. They will be used in the kickpanels of my car. The tweeter was chosen because of its mild horn loading to keep dispersion up against the underside of the dash (etc) under a bit more control, and the woofer because of its small backside, which will give me more flexibility in aiming. I actually am using the TB in my current home setup, so I do have some experience with its great sound, anyways.

I have chosen 2nd order at 2500 hz for the tweeter, which seems right, but I am only making my best guess. Does this seem about right?

I have no idea where to start the slop of the woofer or what slope to give it. I know it is important to meet the tweeter at just the right spot so the combination of the two halfway points of each slope combine to make a smooth frequency resonse, but I don't know how to figure it. Can someone make a good suggestion and tell me how they got there?

I also am a little in the dark on how to mate these when one is a 4 ohm driver and one is an 8 ohm.

Much appreciated.

Hi,

You need an 8ohm L-pad or equivalent resistors on the
tweeter to balance the output level of the two drivers.

You could partially zobel the 4ohm unit with an 8R resistor
and capacitor and then use a "textbook" 8R 1st order series
crossover somewhat higher than usual as its first order.

:)/sreten.

sreten said:
Hi,

You need an 8ohm L-pad or equivalent resistors on the
tweeter to balance the output level of the two drivers.

You could partially zobel the 4ohm unit with an 8R resistor
and capacitor and then use a "textbook" 8R 1st order series
crossover somewhat higher than usual as its first order.

:)/sreten.

How do I Zobel it? Is that separate from the main x-over? And what frequency do you recommend? "Higher than usual" means nothing to me as I don't know what the usual is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.