Proac response 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm starting n that now....Here is the plan I've come up with so far.

Now the front and rear baffle are 1"MDF, not the 3/4 that I have listed. I've also got extensive pictures of the crossover, but have not measured the values because I didn;t want to tear it apart. I've got pictures of it if anyone want's to take a crack at it.

Attachments

• r2s.jpg
    r2s.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,721
Actually, I'm a bit off on the hole sizes. they need to be the identical size as the 2.5 clones with the same recess. the port size is also 2 7/8 but I am using 3" as that is all I have available. I've got a srossover that I'm starting with and I'll post plans for that here in the neer future. (along with pics when I'm done)

I should have the cabinets finished by the middle of next week. I'll post pics. If anyone wants to take a stab at the crossover, here is a pic of it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's great.

This is 2s not the original 2 but the only difference could be the port location. Either way I'm interested. The only way to get the crossover values is to measure them, otherwise there's going to be allot of experimenting and you may never find the exact points and slopes. atleast this is the way I see it. If you go to:
www.users.bigpond.com/ptobin/tobespage.htm
This guy has a pair of the originals and he has upgraded the xo elements and has links to pictures and diagrams of the xo. The tweeter on the originals looks closer to the woofer?

Is the scanspeak model number on the woofer or is it proacs number?

Joel

ok, so that was the WAY wrong crossover to use for this speaker. I used the REAL Response 2S dimensions with this crossover and it sounds like garbage.

So now I need to take a step back and work out a better crossover for this thing. Anyone able to help me with this?

I'm going to try changing one of the resistors, and change the dampening inside the cabinet, but it was pretty "muddy" sounding, even after 72hrs of straight playing to try to break it in.

Any suggestions?

This is the crossover I used...

http://www.audiokit.it/ITAENG/KitDiffusori/2vie/SCAN1-2/Scan1-2.gif

Hi,

Looks like the one you built and the original Proac XO :

http://www.users.bigpond.com/ptobin/r2_schematic.htm

differs in values and layout alike. While the original uses only one serial 3,3 ohm resistor in the HP filter, the Italian kit uses two. The inductor values in the original filter are unknown, but there are big differences in the capacitor values too. After all it's not a surprise that it doesn't sound like a Proac box. Not even talk about the OEM drivers.
Without knowing the inductor values it's pretty difficult to build a clone that come close to the original, but you may modify the Italian kit. I would first try with the LP filter. The orig filter uses 1uF, so reducing the value of C1 might help.

Good luck,
Zozo

I gave the (real) proac response 2 an audition (with my amp) and was very pleased with the result, Is there a more detailed site for cloning them ? Is it like the real thing ?

can you comper them to the 2.5 which I'm also considering ?

my room is about 3mX5m using WAD kit6550 valve amp (35W PP).

thaks in advance,
yuval

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.