One for Planet10? Anyone see these before?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Ok. Going by the correct T/S specs, the Pioneer B20 doesn't look so hot in a 27 litre box. It is better suited to a larger box. I have done some searching and have found a few possibilities.
The one that looks the best so far is the Pioneer A25FU20-53F. These are 10" and just a couple of bucks more than the B20.

This is how it looks in Unibox.

Attachments

• aa.png
    aa.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 268
MJL21193 said:
Ok. Going by the correct T/S specs, the Pioneer B20 doesn't look so hot in a 27 litre box.

The one that looks the best so far is the Pioneer A25FU20-53F.

Not at a glance anyway. Take the hint from the B20, this much variance is typical of all the cheap Pioneers AFAIK, not to mention they can vary quite a bit from batch to batch. The only one I know of that would probably work well enough (and look appropriate in this cab IMO) is the A25FU30-51D, but it rolls off too low to use cheap, small tweeters.

FWIW, if it were mine I'd use the B20 sealed and if it sounded too 'boomy', then space it away from the baffle ever so slightly to bleed off some of the back pressure. Depending on how hard you drive it, an open cell foam spacer gasket may be required if it tends to 'whistle'.

WRT the 1016, the original was surprisingly HIFI when properly XO'd/EQ'd, but I imagine the Goldwood is similar/same as all the other junk knock-offs. Still, XO'd as super tweeters I imagine they'd be fine for this app.

GM

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
GM said:
...and if it sounded too 'boomy', then space it away from the baffle ever so slightly to bleed off some of the back pressure. .

You see? Just when I ws going to ask if he should maybe try aperiodic, there you go! :D

Ditto on the cheap Goldwood tweets. Could be just the ticket.
And don't forget the little neo tweeters that P.E. has. They go well with the Pioneer. Small enough to place anywhere on the baffle or even in front of the main driver.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
GM said:

The only one I know of that would probably work well enough (and look appropriate in this cab IMO) is the A25FU30-51D, but it rolls off too low to use cheap, small tweeters.

Thanks GM,
I like the way the A25FU30-51D sims (see pic below), so I'll be going with that. I will get some of the 1016's to try, as they are practically free :) I will also get the GT-1025, which is a bit bigger than the 1016 and reaches down to 1800Hz.
Like I said, not much to lose if they are junk.

panomaniac said:

Ditto on the cheap Goldwood tweets. Could be just the ticket.
And don't forget the little neo tweeters that P.E. has.

Worth trying these cheap tweets anyway, I might be surprised.

I avoid ordering from PE, as the brokerage fee from UPS at the border can be as much or more than the cost of the order. They should consider a depot here in Canada (something like Digikey does), where they can ship from and save us this expense.

Attachments

• aa.png
    aa.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 200
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:
I avoid ordering from PE, as the brokerage fee from UPS at the border can be as much or more than the cost of the order.

Well that sucks.....

I was told (in Montreal) that if the goods are made in North America there is no import fee into Canada. Of course that's not the case, here. Think that's true?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
panomaniac said:

Well that sucks.....

I was told (in Montreal) that if the goods are made in North America there is no import fee into Canada. Of course that's not the case, here. Think that's true?

It's UPS. They charge a "brokerage fee". I regularly order special fasteners from New York, the last shipment ($1800.00+ order) the fee from UPS was $80.00. This was above duty (anything made in North America has no duty - NAFTA) on import items, Canadian sales tax and shipping charges. The total when all was said and done was $268.00.
Now, that was a commercial purchase, so fees may have been higher.

I did order $150.00 worth electronic parts from Jameco a few years ago and UPS wanted $65.00 at my door. I sent the order back. In the end, I'd rather just make my purchases here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.