Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Last edited:
Hi to all,

here is my system, nobaffle with acustic elegange dipole 15" woofer, b&g neo8 pdr and neo 3 pdr dipole mid and tweeter:

My spare parts speaker. I have a pair of the Neo 3 PDR and 2 pair of Neo 10, but can only get them sounding right in cabinets.
I like these in open back and folded baffles, a lot, with a sealed sub.
I use some old active 3 way crossovers .
Still rough with the "head unit". I didn't expect it to work, but I love it.

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_164020.jpg
    IMG_20211128_164020.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 812
Hi to all,

Can I ask you why? And also, what kind of baffle you have made for the woofers, u-baffle? with some damping material in the back? What crossover frequency? And where is the NEO3? :eek: sorry for all this questions... beatifull dinosaurs

The Neo 3PDR are still in cabinets with Neo 10.
I don't say the cabinet Neo 10/ Neo 3 combination doesn't sound good. I like these better, and no, no damping behind them.
I would say 3 tries at getting them to sound right in cabinets and 2 tries in open baffle was enough for me.
These midwoofers are in an open backed W Frame with wings.
I say midwoofers because they don't do bass below 80 hertz.
Crossover frequencies are 80 hertz, and 700 hertz, active 4th order.
Glad you like the looks; I'm a fan of multi purpose furnishings ��

Last edited:
ok, now it's clear... I've make some experiment with baffles on neo8/neo3, large, small, but finally I prefer baffleless, maybe because no diffraction... on the woofer, I've tried u-frame, with and without damping material on the backside, but finally, also for the woofer I prefer baffleless, but to work fine, the woofer has to be very special, with high spl, high xmax and high qts... I never try dsp nor active equalization, but I wish to do in the future.

Last edited:
ok, now it's clear... I've make some experiment with baffles on neo8/neo3, large, small, but finally I prefer baffleless, maybe because no diffraction... on the woofer, I've tried u-frame.

Taking your no baffle preference to heart. I did fold my baffle to minimize it's aspect facince me, for fewer reflections, and have added a little acousic foam to further reduce some room reflections towards me. It sounds much more like the plain Neo 8 mid-tweeter perched atop the woofers' W Frame.
Since I'm again crossing as low as 700 hertz at times, a little baffle support is needed for my preferences.
It shouldn't be enough, but I'm guessing the woofer structure below helps out a lot.
This is as large a baffle as I want to use up top.

Attachments

• IMG_20211202_114117.jpg
    IMG_20211202_114117.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 442
ok, now it's clear... I've make some experiment with baffles on neo8/neo3, large, small, but finally I prefer baffleless, maybe because no diffraction... on the woofer, I've tried u-frame, with and without damping material on the backside, but finally, also for the woofer I prefer baffleless, but to work fine, the woofer has to be very special, with high spl, high xmax and high qts... I never try dsp nor active equalization, but I wish to do in the future.

The 15" woofers are 1525e 4 and 8 ohm, used here as midwoofers from 150 hertz and upto 700 Hz.
The woofers used as sub woofers are Dayton RS 265HF-04, in sealed cabinet's.

Hi everyone

I received the parts for my open baffle project and just had to put something together. Its already the best sounding system i ever owned

18s NSD1095n in XT1086
18s NMBA520
BMS 15n840

+ Hypex fusion 253 amp

The 15 inch will be used in a ripol design. I will keep you updated when i progess

Attachments

• 20211204_164925.jpg
    20211204_164925.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 592
If a little is good

More may be better.
I applied more open cell acoustic foam to the Neo 8 front baffle face.
The pretty large speakers image like champs now.
Got the idea partly from here when someone posted about a lossy woolen baffle, and an old Audio Ideas Guide Andrew Marshall product I read about many years ago, stick on foam oval rings called imagers, designed to surround tweeters.
This change to me has the benefits of an earlier try with no baffle, with the addition of more dense and even levels of frequencies within the passband of the Neo 8 drivers.
Plainly- I can't hear the crossover point between the dynamics and the planars.
Edit- picture to follow. This will be the third time, wasting my mobile data while this site says download complete.

Last edited:
Taking your no baffle preference to heart. I did fold my baffle to minimize it's aspect facince me, for fewer reflections, and have added a little acousic foam to further reduce some room reflections towards me. It sounds much more like the plain Neo 8 mid-tweeter perched atop the woofers' W Frame.
Since I'm again crossing as low as 700 hertz at times, a little baffle support is needed for my preferences.
It shouldn't be enough, but I'm guessing the woofer structure below helps out a lot.
This is as large a baffle as I want to use up top.
From some simulation I've made with basta! software (or also Edge software) in my case, the woofer structure below the mid add some contribute around starting from about 1kHz, so cross at 700Hz may be the limit beyond which a baffle is needed... but why not cross at a lower frequency, say about 350Hz?

Third kick at loading

The new added foam baffle.
I've tried on my system a similar solution, with some felt strips in front and back of both neo8 and neo3, but then removed because the sound began to lack "air"... now I've try a different solution, closing some casual holes in the back of both neo8 and neo3 as you can see in the follwing picture (is not mine idea, I've copied it from the Thread "Phase Plug for Planars" by mister Patrick Bateman, found here https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/phase-plug-for-planars.303785/ :
1639125559904.png

These solution seem to work very weel, the sound is much more smooth...

Hi everyone

I received the parts for my open baffle project and just had to put something together. Its already the best sounding system i ever owned

18s NSD1095n in XT1086
18s NMBA520
BMS 15n840

+ Hypex fusion 253 amp

The 15 inch will be used in a ripol design. I will keep you updated when i progess
wow! The mid in open baffle too? And you prefer not to have dipole for the high?

Peterpan,
please at least try a backside tweeter added. Room response will get smoother and total sound image more coherent. Been there, done that, before going to Neo3 dipole planar tweeter...

In general, dipoles to give their best, will need late backside soundwaves to get reflected to the room and the ears of the beholder! This means some open space and reflective surfaces. Turning speakers eg. 30deg inwards will help too. Corner placement doesn't work so well, reflections come too early to add "space" in sound.

Attachments

• wide room reflections dip vs mono.png
    wide room reflections dip vs mono.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 175
  • narrow room dipole vs mono.png
    narrow room dipole vs mono.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 175
Peterpan,
please at least try a backside tweeter added. Room response will get smoother and total sound image more coherent. Been there, done that, before going to Neo3 dipole planar tweeter...

In general, dipoles to give their best, will need late backside soundwaves to get reflected to the room and the ears of the beholder! This means some open space and reflective surfaces. Turning speakers eg. 30deg inwards will help too. Corner placement doesn't work so well, reflections come too early to add "space" in sound.
After having build a first prototype i can say that the room response is following the house curve i intended and it images extremely well imo.
Also keep in mind that there are more benefits to open baffle speakers than spacious sound - thats not even something im particularly after.
Thank you for the concerns nevertheless. Once the final speaker is finished i will open a thread and provide pictures and measurements