Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Hello all. I'm using full ranges, but am filtering out the bass 4th order active and having other drivers to the work. There's even less pressure in each sealed cabinet since they are side firing and out of phase.
I've read that Mark Audio recommends up to 800 hours for these to be fully broke in.
Any ideas how long this would be with the absence of below 175 hertz or so bass in them?
I did this to listen at normal volumes, without awaiting break-in, but now prefer distributed OB bass with the previous 12" 8.5mm X-Max full ranger pair to anything else I've used in this room.
As an aside, does a satellite driver ever really break in without stretching the suspension?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks George. I guess you got my joke, or are just faking it. Anyhow, I couldn't tell the difference.
Klim, I couldn’t tell the difference either, so I had to double on your joke :)
If you can't tell the difference, fake it. This can become recursive. And annihilate the universe.
Men universe :D

Perry, excellent work. Congrats and thanks for the documentation. :up:

George

Thanks for responding. Without the active bass removal there is some bass even in out of phase mode. The inboard sides are older A12P, and for closer sidewall limited reflections, older A12PW.
I won't be physically fully recovering from an accident, and wanted an unusual as well as simple build to keep at it. In my case, this meant removing some boxy resonances, while not bracing very much.
I've tried augmenting the bass from unfiltered satellites, but I find it much more natural using a crossover. I have a second order line level from an old old M&K system, and may give this a try with a 4th order sub plate amp, since the LP1-S offers no sub filtering.

I'm not sure if this is the best thread to post this query but it is worth a shot; does anyone know anything about these OBs? Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

Those were sweet drivers in the IPL transmission lines.

Good luck, hope they show you some magic. Nice build at the least.

Agreed, likely to be IPL bass/mid drivers. If so, the cone edge has a small rim on the rear to reduce cone break up. I recall Ivan Leslie of IPL saying that the chassis was a 'B&W reference' type. The rubber surround developed minor cracks after 4-5 years on both my pairs where it had been attached to the cone.

Yes, it is an IPL driver with the rim on the inside edge of the cone. Both midrange units are wired in parallel and sound quite good after trying them out for 30 minutes. I will open the crossover box tomorrow to see what is inside, apparently, these OBs were designed in Oz. The drivers aren't cheap, they look well built and back in the day they were more expensive than Audax HM series! Surrounds don't have any cracks but they look like it has been repaired.

SEAS DRIVE UNITS