Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Celestion TF1225CX and Eminence Delta 15LFA. Hybrid XO with MiniDSP 2x4HD between bass and coaxial. Coaxial mid/CD xo is passive. Bass to mid xo at 200Hz LR2.

670755d1521930290t-ultimate-baffle-gallery-img_2436-jpg

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...21930290-ultimate-baffle-gallery-img_2436-jpg

Last edited:
My latest

Maybe it's time to post something for once. Here's my latest iteration of my speakers.

All open baffles/dipoles.

Tweeters: GRS PT2522-4,
Mids: Visaton B200
Woofers: 2x Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4

Tweeters and mids are crossed passively
Subs actively using miniDSP SHD.
All are, or just the subs are DSPed using Dirac although the top/mids work really fine on their own as well. They go surprisingly low. I wouldn't miss the subs too much if I didn't have them in a small room like mine. With that said, using the subs, they go really low when asked, without almost moving a millimeter.

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_110248.jpg
    IMG_20210501_110248.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 1,303
  • IMG_20210501_110326.jpg
    IMG_20210501_110326.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_20210501_110300.jpg
    IMG_20210501_110300.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 1,276
Last edited:
I had a pair of B200 that used a pair of Dave's phase plugs. Never heard them without, but they definitely worked great and never even bothered to try them with a tweeter. Using 18" Hframes for bass, I was able to go stupid loud and they kept their composure. I miss those lil fellas and would rather have those than what I replaced them with.

Even had em ductsealed and everything. Dunno if they needed or benefitted, but the plugs worked so well, I tried more of Dave's tricks

Where's the beef? The meat and potatoes is that Phase Plugs are a no brainer. Just do it. It's what's for dinner.

Phase plugs in those B200s, you might well be able to lose the tweeter (and the XO).

I look at stiock B200s and think about how much better they can be.

dave

Yes, I've been looking at your site and have been thinking about it. Just adding the phaseplugs won't give the backwards high frequencies, I think mine actually does good, not only forwards and compensating the b200s stock spectrum.

@Planet10. How much is the postage for Sweden? I don't have a lathe

I had a pair of B200 that used a pair of Dave's phase plugs. Never heard them without, but they definitely worked great and never even bothered to try them with a tweeter. Using 18" Hframes for bass, I was able to go stupid loud and they kept their composure. I miss those lil fellas and would rather have those than what I replaced them with.

Even had em ductsealed and everything. Dunno if they needed or benefitted, but the plugs worked so well, I tried more of Dave's tricks

Where's the beef? The meat and potatoes is that Phase Plugs are a no brainer. Just do it. It's what's for dinner.

Yes. The 2x15" woofers doesn't even need dipole compensation to go in the singel digits without falling of (thanks to room gain and placing the woofers without airgap between the subs and the floor).

I didn't get any phaseplugs due to not having any lathe and Dave being on the opposite side of the world).
But as I wrote in the previous post. Just having phaseplugs won't solve dipole in the highs.

Yes. The 2x15" woofers doesn't even need dipole compensation to go in the singel digits without falling of (thanks to room gain and placing the woofers without airgap between the subs and the floor).

I didn't get any phaseplugs due to not having any lathe and Dave being on the opposite side of the world).
But as I wrote in the previous post. Just having phaseplugs won't solve dipole in the highs.

Dipole highs are tricky. I've never found the juice worth the squeeze yet. How do you like those GRS tweeters? They make a few interesting ones!

Just joined the open baffle club!
So the only speaker type I have left to build and experience is the line array!
Loving the spaciousness of the open baffle.
Built synergies, multiway monopoles sealed and ported, full range drivers, and finally got to open baffle.
Went all out with naked driver build.
Deltalite 2515, neo 6 and neo 3 with subs below 100hz.
I am still tuning them and mucking about with placement. Really nice so far, not up to my best sounding build yet...but plenty of finessing to do.

Attachments

• IMG20210517173555.jpg
    IMG20210517173555.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 1,019
Just joined the open baffle club!
So the only speaker type I have left to build and experience is the line array!
Loving the spaciousness of the open baffle.
Built synergies, multiway monopoles sealed and ported, full range drivers, and finally got to open baffle.
Went all out with naked driver build.
Deltalite 2515, neo 6 and neo 3 with subs below 100hz.
I am still tuning them and mucking about with placement. Really nice so far, not up to my best sounding build yet...but plenty of finessing to do.

:cool:

Which was the best sounding build (..and in what respects)?