Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

It is common with small line arrays.

Thank you for the honest reply.
I was hoping that maybe being OB, there might be a wider area without the loss, but physics rule.

:)

And you have a little Roland e-drum kit to play with. Do you play along with the music? :)

I also have a set of e-drums, DIY, but I mostly play VST like Superior Drummer now, and playing with headphones.

Attachments

• 83415203_10157923019261635_911318272673054720_n.jpg
    83415203_10157923019261635_911318272673054720_n.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,386
I'm more of a drummer than a guitar player.
Too many strings on a guitar for me, but I got my hands on an electric Ukulele, and it's been hours and hours of fun! Especially with the virtual guitar rigs available these days

This little thing brings me (almost) the same smile as listening to great music... And I'm really not great at playing... just an enthusiast, I would call myself! :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 11.24.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 11.24.27 PM.png
    421.4 KB · Views: 1,327
Hi James
The design of this speaker evolved over a decade. I went through many designs.
The AE's did not give me the SPL's I wanted. There is further explanation at the foot of the video.
Eventually, I switched to inefficient, heavy coned, large Xmax drive units, and I fared much better with them. I worker through the 15" Dayton IB395, RSS390, and finally UM18.

Dayton now has a 21" ... time to upgrade? ;)

Attention Required! | Cloudflare

It got me thinking I could do OB line arrays.

But, I also remember the tonality change when walking around the room.

Yes ob line arrays!!!!!!!

Depends on the room. If you do go full on ob line array make sure your bass array has enough to get you there and you won't be disappointed.

The tonality changes a bit but if you have a long room it makes up for it in more even coverage overall. I'm very happy with ob line arrays VS sealed line array but they were drastically different builds

Hi! Nice build... I didn-t understant exactly what are the "PT-minis". This is still your current setup? What are the crossover points? Thank you!

Thanks! This is still my current setup. I'm really enjoying this one. I still have to run a bunch more measurements but time is short right now. The crossover points are around 325hz and 8khz. The PTmini’s are small tweeters.

Dayton Audio PTMini-6 Planar Tweeter 6 Ohm

Yes ob line arrays!!!!!!!

Depends on the room. If you do go full on ob line array make sure your bass array has enough to get you there and you won't be disappointed.

The tonality changes a bit but if you have a long room it makes up for it in more even coverage overall. I'm very happy with ob line arrays VS sealed line array but they were drastically different builds

I have a long room, but I listen on the wide side, speakers are at about 1/3 on the long wall.

I don't think I could go with a bunch of 15", wife would kill me. I was thinking about the SBA 5x8" racetrack woofer. I have it in my MLTL, and in an OB built as well. They don't go crazy low by themselves, but they can take a lot of EQ down below without breaking a sweat.

I'm not sure... I can't get the Sd needed for low end in this room so I need to think of a way.

My Active OB System

I have been thinking about this design for some time (too long?) and I finally built it. I wanted to go active on my primary system that I use for TV and music. It is a 4 way system - subwoofer to 100 hz; woofer from 100 hz to 400 hz; mid-range from 400 hz to 2000 hz and tweeter above 2000 hz.

I have the following drivers:
o BIC F-12 Subwoofer
o Eminence 3012 Kappalite LF (I luv Neo drivers)
o Satori MW16PNW-4
o Dayton AMT Pro-4

Next upgrade is to replace tweeter with the Heil AMT. I will move the Dayton to my (under construction) garage system.

Attachments

• DSCN0025.JPG
    DSCN0025.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 1,287
  • DSCN0026.JPG
    DSCN0026.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 1,261
  • DSCN0027.JPG
    DSCN0027.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 1,248
  • DSCN0020.jpg
    DSCN0020.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 1,248
I have been thinking about this design for some time (too long?) and I finally built it. I wanted to go active on my primary system that I use for TV and music. It is a 4 way system - subwoofer to 100 hz; woofer from 100 hz to 400 hz; mid-range from 400 hz to 2000 hz and tweeter above 2000 hz.

I have the following drivers:
o BIC F-12 Subwoofer
o Eminence 3012 Kappalite LF (I luv Neo drivers)
o Satori MW16PNW-4
o Dayton AMT Pro-4

Next upgrade is to replace tweeter with the Heil AMT. I will move the Dayton to my (under construction) garage system.

nice speakers rb132333,
some thoughts :
- I would guess you get resonances from the emminence 3012 while the tube is pretty deep, i think you might skip the complete tube - the 3012 is oke with 100-400hz i think
- are the acoustical centers of midwoofer and tweeter aligned vertically?

Last edited:
I did try to align the drivers. My room is 16' x 16' and open to the back. It certainly not the optimum room size for speakers. Here is a quick frequency response (1/12 octave smoothing) that I took at the listening position.

Attachments

• OB #2.jpg
    OB #2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 1,104
Last edited: