Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Yes, it's easy with small woofers, but many open baffles have 15 inch to horn mid/tweeter crossed at 700-1000 hz. When I try 300 or higher it just sounds awfull

with an 18 inch up to 300hz you can only put it in a flat baffle because of problems with resonances

I use a tube behind it for deeper lows but above 100Hz there are resonances

thanks guys for your insights, i had been wondering why my 21" in flat baffle can only sounds good when i set hpf 80Hz at maximum. many suggestion says to lift it up to 300Hz but it never sound right to me. because i'm using 5" fullrange hence adding 12" woofer to fill 80-320Hz is very usefull

Attachments

• dipool22.png
    dipool22.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,308
with an 18 inch up to 300hz you can only put it in a flat baffle because of problems with resonances

I use a tube behind it for deeper lows but above 100Hz there are resonances

Great article! Although I don't read Dutch, I enjoyed the images. :)

How did you calculate the length of the tube behind the woofer? I have a pair of 18 inch woofers I'd like to set up like that.

OBSP open-baffle-speaker-project - forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl

B&C 18SW115-8
Seas Excel W22
Scanspeak 10F-4424G00
Mundorf 17D2.2

temporary Inuke 6000 dsp for lows
minidsp OpenDRC-DA8
UCD400/180HXR
compliments.
I do not see well, are they simple wires that support the hanging speakers?
Replace with elastic rope, get elastic suspension and vibration reduction.
improves 3d and better resolves the plot of music.
If you want more precise indications for which type of elastic to use send me a pm.
The dipole is magic!

Speaking of vibration damping: Butyl tape is fantastic! Not for suspending speaker drivers, but for almost everything else ;) It sticks to practically anything, it stays sticky forever and it has very nice damping characteristics. I use it instead of heat glue when fixing/damping crossover components for example. Much better! And it's cheap.

Of course drivers need to vibrate some to function...Probably the magnet mass works to offer enough inertia to offset this? Bass drivers might actually move if hung on too resilient cord? Which is probably not a good thhing?Just a thought..
the vibrations to be attenuated are those transmitted by the cabinet.
the frame is small and light, it is not enough to avoid vibrations.
Prodotti » Lavori Custom » Accessori » Sospensioni elastiche per driver acuti - Clinamenaudio

...Butyl tape is fantastic! ... It sticks to practically anything, it stays sticky forever and it has very nice damping characteristics. I use it instead of heat glue when fixing/damping crossover components for example...

That's why I love this place! Shared knowledge like this is invaluable. Now I can ditch the messy glue gun. :)

I believe in mounting drivers by their magnet, such that the baffle isn’t also a mounting surface ... greatly reduces vibration effects...

Another interesting idea worth trying. :D