Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

^ Fine. However, if you are interested in learning why the baffle is shaped that way you could do a lot worse than study the Linkwitz Lab site.

SJ; i have read Linkwitz site and pretty much everything else written on OBs online

IMO it goes like this

felt baffle (best of both worlds) > no baffle > small baffle > ...... > medium-large circular baffle (worst possible)

Agreed, last I heard from Charlie he was becoming convinced dipole down to 20Hz was unnecessary and was heading off to experiment with sealed sub. ;) I think the other end of the scale is interesting too, how late reflections at high frequency can relate to the size of the perceived space..... best to play and see what you like..

Return to Horns

I've had my fun with the Van Halen planar dynamic hybrids, but was missing the transient snap of my horns.
Plundered my Onken cabinets, and am trying no baffle for now, as the Van Halens can be modded for a slob sub.
So far so good; the 2 Celestions are quite good without a baffle, as long as they're close together.
This pic was from this morning, prior to me mucking things up with wire.
I may post if I figure a way to do that neatly.
Maybe the easiest build I've ever done, and I think the no stain no oil no finish gets the steampunkish mancavd look I was aiming for.
Loving the exaggerated dynamics and colourations. The BG stuff is great, but horns are the fun date.

Attachments

• IMG_20190217_140607.jpg
    IMG_20190217_140607.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 1,682
..bummer.

I was "picturing" something like this (with an active digital-delay for the compression or ring tweeter), where the JBL compression mid was replaced by the Neo 10:

YouTube

My horn was much less elaborate.

It was about 12" deep, and went from 5" wide, to 3" wide, then flared to 23" wide.The intent was to use compression to load the membrane, and bolster the 300 to 1000hz range.
Don't allow my lack of skill in designing a horn deter you.

I started many month ago, now I am finishing it.
There are three panels that can change the place.
In the Midrange and Tweeter zone, I attached, a Lowther DX3 and A Dynaudio Esotar D330 with two D76AF in MTM.
With this mode I can make different configurations.
The crossover is a nanoDigi with three Soekris DAC. The amps. Probably Pass diy.
Any suggestion of the public ?
Best Regards
Hola!
Queria saber como suenan los Beyma 18 LX 60 V2?
Estoy elaborando un proyecto Open Baffle y reconozco me gusta mucho el 18 lx 60 v2. Tengo la oportunidad de comprarlo. Me gustaria saber mas sobre este woofer. Me podrias dar detalles por favor?
Muchas Gracias
Victor

I've had my fun with the Van Halen planar dynamic hybrids, but was missing the transient snap of my horns.
Plundered my Onken cabinets, and am trying no baffle for now, as the Van Halens can be modded for a slob sub.
So far so good; the 2 Celestions are quite good without a baffle, as long as they're close together.
This pic was from this morning, prior to me mucking things up with wire.
I may post if I figure a way to do that neatly.
Maybe the easiest build I've ever done, and I think the no stain no oil no finish gets the steampunkish mancavd look I was aiming for.
Loving the exaggerated dynamics and colourations. The BG stuff is great, but horns are the fun date.

Are you getting decent bass so close to the wall? Clean lower midrange?

Are you getting decent bass so close to the wall? Clean lower midrange?

They are now about 4 feet from the front wall, and centre of woofers is about 36" from the sidewalls.
They are very very clean through the vocal range.
I'd hoped they would reach down to a subwoofer, but subjectively, that's unnecessary, even for movies.
I'm guessing it's better boundary reinforcement, being so close to the floor, some gain from a 30" vertical cylindrical wave launch, and the 1525e natural 40 hertz or so bass spike.
Cleaner sound by far, than my planar hybrid Van Halens. They had only a 19mm thick baffle, which I now think added lots of stored energy resonances, with each having 3 1525e drivers in it.
I'm very surprised the bass is adequate.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hello!
I wanted to know how the Beyma 18 LX 60 V2 sounds?
I'm working on an Open Baffle project and I really like the 18 lx 60 v2. I have the opportunity to buy it. I would like to know more about this woofer. Could you give me details please?
Thank you so much
Victor

Victor,

English please.

dave
diyAudio Moderation

Hello again!
I wanted to know how the Beyma 18 LX 60 V2 sounds?
I'm working on an Open Baffle project and I really like the 18 lx 60 v2. I have the opportunity to buy it. I would like to know more about this woofer. (Fs=35Hz; Qes=0,5; Qts=0,48; BL=21,8N/A; Xmax=9mm; Sensivity=98dB 1W/1m;) Could you give me details and your opinion please?
Thank you so much
Victor