Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

@ PDRCanada - Indeed :) They are Fostex FE126EN drivers, with Silver Flute tweeters. I am using the miniDSP HD to run the setup between the LF & HF sections. The tweeters have a passive XO crossing at 7KHz. The woofers are 12" Agent Audio LS-1093 drivers.

@ Xerxes75 - Thank you! You are right, they are also called Ripoles. In the background is my DIY naked amp, with 3 stereo channels.

Last edited:
My Slot Loaded Open Baffle.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thought I saw your S.L.O.B. on an SA forum recently: the open-air amplifier was there too.

The front of the S.L.O.B. only have one open slot in the center, a true Ripole, right?

Great work!

4way open baffle test

Finally was able to do a 4 way open baffle test. I used drivers i had on hand except for the mid MU10RB. LOWs are Beta 15A i parallel with a Hartley 220, low mid are 8 inch KRK Kevlars woofers and the tweeters are dipole sawafujis. I had to wait a while because i did not have the 8 channels of amplification. I found locally for $75 two altec 2204A amps, one had a few bad channels. A good cleaning off all connectors brought all channels back. The crossover is with two Minidsp 2x4. I had purchased the plans for the Nao Note ii RS and wanted to get an idea of what it could be before investing in new drivers and better amps. I customized the crossover and eq to match my drivers.

The bottom baffle is from an old speaker cabinet, only kept the front baffle. The top baffle looks similar to the LX521. Different angles on the top mid and tweeter. I figured that since the tweeter is a true dipole that rounded edge would look better.

This things sound fantastic, i am convinced! My wife sat next to me and first asked if all the speakers were turned on. Speakers in the back are KEF104/2 and there is a unhooked subwoofer on the center. Then said it was like seating on the front seats at a concert (was playing Vivaldi at the time).

The speakers dissapear and the whole back wall becomes a stage. I played it loud and it is a very different loud to box speakers, the bass is ver clear and palpable but there is no pressure in the room. It sounds really good everywhere in the room, even 35 feet back.

Definitely something to consider for those that have the space to move away the speakers from the back wall.

Next step is to buy better gear, first thinking to get a new DSP and the SLS woofers and make a new lower baffle.

Will continue to enjoy these until the next revision.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,979