Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

The workname for this project was "Billy the speaker! :)
Rudolf: -"Right you are - I'ts a Fostex FP203!
The tweeter is also a Fostex salvaged from some old speakers of unknown origin.
The crossover has just been rebuild using oil and MKP capacitors.
The woofers LP is set to 300Hz where the FP203 takes over. The tweeters help the top end from abt. 9kHz.
I'm pleased with the sound, and think they produce a verry dynamic sound and great bass.
The woofers need some compensation from 20 to 50Hz to get flat frequency response - but thats in the future plans!

/R

Last edited by a moderator:
fergs1 said:
g'day Reverend , how are you!I no longer live in Melb but on the coast in south gippsland, but I trust all is well in Dinga's.
peace and goodwill fergs

Fergs! Wonderful to hear from you .... The Gippsland coast is a great place to dwell - (especially in summer) ... I'm moving myself - on Tuesday ... back home to SA - to the Barossa Valley ... could be the death of me). :D
I'll pm you tomorrow.
Cheers
ALF

I built these a couple of years ago...
run them with a 1.5 Watt SE thingy I build also...
They sound absolutely marvelous!!
2 x 15" EV SP15B 16ohm in parallel with a Fostex FH96..

Attachments

• dscn1160-1.jpg
    dscn1160-1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 6,323
Fuling said:
My ongoing OB project: 120 x 48cm baffles made of 2x16mm MDF with dual 15" Rila woofers and Fostex FE167E for the mid/high.
Looks good Fuling.
Can you tell litte bit more about those woofers: what are specs, price and where I can purchase those?
I search good woofers for OB....I already know some (Eminence Alpha etc.) but it's allways nice to hear about new possibilities. :)
And of course I have to ask how you like the sound?

Micco

miccomacho:

Thank you!
The woofers are Rila BW 1521, they cost 595 SEK (just under 100USD) each at hifikit.se which is the only place I know of that sells them. Specs as follows:

Vas 312,81L
Fs 22Hz
Qts 0.34
98dB/1W

The Qts is quite a bit too low to be suitable as OB drivers but I had them for free so it would be silly not to use them.
For the moment I´m using some very crude passive first order crossovers so I can´t say that much about the sound, initial listening tests are however promising.
My preliminary plan is to use active 12dB crossovers (200-300Hz)for the fullrange driver and the upper woofer and then use the lower woofers as subs with separate filters.

head1962 said:
I built these a couple of years ago...
run them with a 1.5 Watt SE thingy I build also...
They sound absolutely marvelous!!
2 x 15" EV SP15B 16ohm in parallel with a Fostex FH96..
Well all be damned!finally someone with Ev SP15`s!
Nice job by the way. I have SP15A and would love to hear the sonic differences with the b`s. I paired them with Altec 515B for the bass and ribbon fountek tweeters pro5i.

Anglo said:

Well all be damned!

finally someone with Ev SP15`s!

Nice job by the way. I have SP15A and would love to hear the sonic differences with the b`s. I paired them with Altec 515B for the bass and ribbon fountek tweeters pro5i.

thanks!
I like them so much I have another 5 waiting for something to do with..
very likely another set of OB's... maybe out of glass this time.
do you have an iamge?

gainphile said:
Physics CS1 ....
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Hello, I am intrigued how this speaker is laid out. Does the CS1 have opposing-pairs of bass drivers, each on an open baffle? Are they in phase or out? Is there an explanation for this layout? Thanks

Hi tnargs,

I apologies for my photographic abilities, it was compliments of my iPhone. Uploaded better quality photos, see links below.

Why do I believe these should be added to the U OB Gallery? Certainly not because of my design skills but rather because passive 3 way open baffles are difficult to find. This project just shows it's not impossible. Re how they sound, hopefully better than they look, but you should not have to listen to my subjective opinion. Any DIYer will tell you his baby sounds better than what a team of professional audio engineers would be able to do.

Personally I'm joining the "burn those boxes" cult!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php