Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Currently my primary system is a 4 way open baffle system utilizing the Behringer DCX2496 in open baffle. It has gone through many iterations (and drivers!). Initially I named it the OB hybrid project. I had sealed woofers (Dayton 12" series II), open baffle mid-range, tweeters and a separate subwoofer. Several years ago I replaced the mid-range drivers with the BG NEO 10s in open baffle and the tweeters with the Vifa Xt25. I then decided to put the BG NEO 10s in boxes to address the rising response because I was tiring of the bright upper mid-range and missing the lower mid-range (trying to avoid lots of EQ). This arrangement did not last long and after much investigation I decided to replace the NEO 10s with four of the CSS VWR126s in open baffle. Prior to that, I reused the Vifa XT25s in another project and went into the deep end of the pool by getting some of the Heil AMTs (which I luv... thx XRK for the recommendation). I recently replaced the sealed woofers with lighter cone pro woofers (suggestion from overkill I think) to address some of the heavy room modes and it seems to have worked. They sound much better doing the upper bass duties. I am very pleased with the system now and hopefully the 'upgrade-itis' will stay away for awhile. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• OB pic #2.jpg
    OB pic #2.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 1,760
Several years ago I replaced the mid-range drivers with the BG NEO 10s in open baffle and the tweeters with the Vifa Xt25. I then decided to put the BG NEO 10s in boxes to address the rising response because I was tiring of the bright upper mid-range and missing the lower mid-range (trying to avoid lots of EQ). This arrangement did not last long and after much investigation I decided to replace the NEO 10s with four of the CSS .

I got decent results from the Neo 10s by putting a shallow box behind the baffle, with a 4 " wide ×3/4" round port directly behind the driver's middle.
Still had most of open baffle spaciousness, and things were beefed up from 300-1000 hertz.

Recently I was given some 5 inch scanspeak revelators to play with for a month, and tried an open baffle isobaric arrangement, which worked quite well.

Any chance you'd try this with your Neo 10s , and let me know how they do in stereo?

They seem to be intermittently available again at Parts Express, and GR Research.

When I put the NEO10s in a box that did improve the situation. But after getting the Heil AMTs, they kind of rendered the NEO10s less relevant. The Heil AMTs can reach quite low and there was quite a bit of overlap. That drove my focus to the hand off between the woofers and the mid-range. I wanted to move that lower so I went with the VWR126s. I did enjoy the NEO10s. They are very impressive.

I am thinking of using a nude 15" and was wondering how low it would go.
I know the 15" you have; it is sold here branded SoundLab. The build quality is not bad indeed. And the specs are impressive too (Fs=32, xmax=7.5mm)
I have GBA 416-8B; probably slightly more efficient, but lower xmax.
Have you tried lower crossover to sub? I was hoping to reach 60-80hz with one 15" per side

Here is a picture which should be helpful. I have a Behringer DCX2496 so I removed the low end filter and turned the subwoofer off. I measured with Omni-mic at 1m. My room is only 12' wide so I have room reinforcement from 170-220 based on room mode calculator which shows up in the measurement. It looks like it you are good from 50hz up.

Attachments

• OB system.jpg
    OB system.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,868
My take at an OB

MP107195- RFF3.jpg

The filter is quite straightforward, 6dB, at around 300 Hz.

MP107194- RFF2.jpg

I plan to make a slightly wider baffle (the woofer sticks out on this temporary board from a library shelf with a width of 40 cm).

getting the L-pad correct takes some time, maybe because the drivers have to 'settle' in my room.