Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery
Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #3201
LewinskiH01 is offline LewinskiH01  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffless View Post
Beautiful build!

Did the Peerless come with holes in the back of the motor designed for bolting it, or did you modified it?

I'm considering something along similar line of thinking and while my driver does have holes in the back of the motor they are intended for venting I think. But then I'm not going to get even close to applying the 1000W AES power it is rated for.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM   #3202
manninen is offline manninen  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffless View Post
My design from oak. Sounds better than looks Unfortunately these days have so little time left from building stuff that only listening i do is for developing purposes.
Very beautiful, that seems to be final build, just listen some music and enjoy living in that room too.

Lewinski: peerless drivers are very open, not much vent noises going on. not problem on this build
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #3203
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Congrats Rytis!
Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM   #3204
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manninen View Post
Lewinski: peerless drivers are very open, not much vent noises going on. not problem on this build
I wasn't referring to vent noises, but to temperature buildup because of thermal ventilation being blocked. But maybe the driver is designed to be bolted like that, or Baffless designed the holes for this purpose, or my concern is a non-issue and I can use the learning towards my build.
Old Today, 12:15 AM   #3205
MITsound is online now MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think I have some woofers with threaded holes centred on the magnets. Never considered your thermal point, but assumed if you could bolt the hole, there's no reason not to.
Old Today, 01:16 AM   #3206
Jonasz is offline Jonasz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I'm sure there's no venting hole in the back of that Peerless driver since there's a phase plug on the front of the motor.
Wouldn't worry about heat issues in an open baffle driver in this application.
Old Today, 01:56 AM   #3207
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITsound View Post
I think I have some woofers with threaded holes centred on the magnets. Never considered your thermal point, but assumed if you could bolt the hole, there's no reason not to.
I would agree. If the holes are threaded, the drivers were likely designed accounting for the holes being blocked, so no issue. My Faital 18HP1010 has holes that aren't threaded, so I assume they weren't designed to have the holes blocked. But maybe as Jonasz says this is a non-issue.
Old Today, 08:52 AM   #3208
manninen is offline manninen  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewinskiH01 View Post
I wasn't referring to vent noises, but to temperature buildup because of thermal ventilation being blocked. But maybe the driver is designed to be bolted like that, or Baffless designed the holes for this purpose, or my concern is a non-issue and I can use the learning towards my build.
in ob setups thermal is not issue, bass usually run out of steam first and xxxls drivers has vent holes in cone. sure you can just turn volume up but sound is already flat mat cause its run´d out of dynamic capabilities.

every other ob problems/features comes in before drivers burn
  Reply to this post

Ultimate Open Baffle GalleryHide this!Advertise here!