Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery
Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2019, 04:21 PM   #2721
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
gadut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
Now this looks good! Which dsp are yo using? Anyway now the fun begins with listening, measuring and experimenting!
two of minidsp 2x4HD, making monoblock dsp + 4ch amplifier

indeed after electronic & woodworking completed, i'l have to learn on digital domain
__________________
AD1865||DCB1||FW PSU||J2||M2||SIT L'Amp||Open Baffle
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 01:53 PM   #2722
Jeanper is offline Jeanper  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Stockholm
Latest iterations of my open baffle speakers. they are now a three-way design, Scan-Speak H2606 tweeter, Coral Flat 8 II mid and Eminence Alpha 15 bass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4478.jpg (740.8 KB, 1219 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4481.jpg (585.5 KB, 1189 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2019, 01:19 AM   #2723
John Hi is offline John Hi  New Zealand
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Hi,

I'd like to show my 3 way active open baffles. They've been running well for a few years now, with occasional upgrades along the way.
They look like box speakers from the angle photos, because they are 'U' baffles - but they're open at the back.

Bass is 2x12", from BK electronics in the UK. Used in their well regarded 'Monolith' subs. Similar to Eminence Lab 12.

Mids are Dayton RS150 6" Ali cones. Vifa XT25 ring tweeters on Visaton WG148 waveguides, plus 19mm rear tweeters.

Amplification, 4 stereo amps = 8 channels. Heavily rebuilt Quad 405's with no current limiting.

Active crossover. Digital FIR linear phase, measured with REW, programmed in rePhase and run through Equalizer APO.

All music and processing on a windows computer. 20Hz-20KHz -3dB in room. Measured with Cross Spectrum individually calibrated UMIK-1.

Full size speakers on 'U' baffles are unusual because of the potential for resonances in the rear cavity. The up side is powerful extended bass which integrates perfectly with the rest of the speaker.

Actually the rear resonances are fairly easily tamed. A combination of design, damping and EQ tames them totally.
The speakers are curved and sloped, with no parallel sides or edges, so resonances are not encouraged at any particular frequency, and the rear cavity is well damped with foam and wool.
Any remaining resonances are smaller that the room resonances and can be EQ'd out easily.

1.jpg

The finish on the speakers is Piano Black, so there are some weird reflections of furniture on the side of the right speaker.

IMG_20190226_153640.jpg

IMG_20190226_153732.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2019, 11:20 PM   #2724
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hi View Post
Hi,

I'd like to show my 3 way active open baffles. They've been running well for a few years now, with occasional upgrades along the way.
They look like box speakers from the angle photos, because they are 'U' baffles - but they're open at the back.

Bass is 2x12", from BK electronics in the UK. Used in their well regarded 'Monolith' subs. Similar to Eminence Lab 12.

Mids are Dayton RS150 6" Ali cones. Vifa XT25 ring tweeters on Visaton WG148 waveguides, plus 19mm rear tweeters.

Amplification, 4 stereo amps = 8 channels. Heavily rebuilt Quad 405's with no current limiting.

Active crossover. Digital FIR linear phase, measured with REW, programmed in rePhase and run through Equalizer APO.

All music and processing on a windows computer. 20Hz-20KHz -3dB in room. Measured with Cross Spectrum individually calibrated UMIK-1.

Full size speakers on 'U' baffles are unusual because of the potential for resonances in the rear cavity. The up side is powerful extended bass which integrates perfectly with the rest of the speaker.

Actually the rear resonances are fairly easily tamed. A combination of design, damping and EQ tames them totally.
The speakers are curved and sloped, with no parallel sides or edges, so resonances are not encouraged at any particular frequency, and the rear cavity is well damped with foam and wool.
Any remaining resonances are smaller that the room resonances and can be EQ'd out easily.

Attachment 789166

The finish on the speakers is Piano Black, so there are some weird reflections of furniture on the side of the right speaker.

Attachment 789163

Attachment 789164
Beauty.

Any snaps of the back of the speakers? Curious your methods. Wish I could hear em.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2019, 11:52 PM   #2725
John Hi is offline John Hi  New Zealand
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Thank you.

The back don't look nearly so smooth, being hidden away.
And there's not much to see, because it's covered with a drape cloth.

The amplifiers are stacked in the bottom of the back.
The 'wing' bits on the inside sides serve 3 purposes; -
structural reinforcement, reduce the radiating area to approx that of the bass cones, and increasing the distance between front and back for bass.

The rear tweeter fires at an angle to give a slight boost to the HF energy in the room, and avoid direct reflections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20191022_11_41_54_Pro.jpg (135.6 KB, 703 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:22 AM   #2726
daemonsgr is offline daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London (UK) / sometimes Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hi View Post
Thank you.

The back don't look nearly so smooth, being hidden away.
And there's not much to see, because it's covered with a drape cloth.

The amplifiers are stacked in the bottom of the back.
The 'wing' bits on the inside sides serve 3 purposes; -
structural reinforcement, reduce the radiating area to approx that of the bass cones, and increasing the distance between front and back for bass.

The rear tweeter fires at an angle to give a slight boost to the HF energy in the room, and avoid direct reflections.
may I ask regarding the theory/idea of "back HF" units? (tweeter etc)
thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:05 PM   #2727
John Hi is offline John Hi  New Zealand
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Hi,

It improves the spectral balance of sound reflected within the room to make it more neutral. Reflected sound has at least as much energy as the sound coming direct from your speakers.

It's a well proven thing, with many high end speakers using them.

Quite a lot on the internet, and several threads on this forum mention them.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...g-tweeters.htm


ORION++
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:37 PM   #2728
pengesluk is offline pengesluk  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Initial drawing of a modular OB concept that I tested out. Will try and find actual photos later.

Fertin 38EX FC 15" - various Fostex 8" wide band versions - RAAL Lazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Modulbaffel Fertin Fostex RAAL.jpg (27.1 KB, 554 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 12:23 AM   #2729
lousymusician is online now lousymusician  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NorCal
OK, I'll play. Here's my current, evolving, 3/4 OB den music system. The room is small for OB speakers, but it's too small for much of anything to work optimally. This was mostly built from drivers I already owned and re-used from other builds. Total driver cost was under $100/channel.

From the top:

TC9FD18-08, 3000 Hz & up

Peerless SDS-860656, 700 - 3000 Hz

Jamo 20388 (PE buyout from several years back), 5" deep u-frame, 150 - 700 Hz

NHT 1-11-083-2 woofer (from NHT liquidation, I think these were a raffle prize at an early Burning Amp), ~30 to 150 Hz, small sealed boxes with a gentle Linkwitz transform to reduce the system Q from .9 to .56 and slightly extend the response.

Baltic Birch cabinetry with clear poly.

MiniDSP 4x10HD, using S. Harsch topology (BW4 lowpass, 2nd order Bessel highpass acoustic slopes, upper driver delayed 1/2 wavelength @ crossover frequency + physical offset compensation) for all three transitions.

4 channel Modulus 86 amp for the upper drivers (sliver faceplate at the bottom of the rack).

2 stereo Breeze TPA-3116 amps running the mid-bass & woofers.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060330.jpg (787.4 KB, 519 views)
__________________
Insert witty signature line here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 08:10 PM   #2730
daemonsgr is offline daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London (UK) / sometimes Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hi View Post
Hi,

It improves the spectral balance of sound reflected within the room to make it more neutral. Reflected sound has at least as much energy as the sound coming direct from your speakers.

It's a well proven thing, with many high end speakers using them.

Quite a lot on the internet, and several threads on this forum mention them.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...g-tweeters.htm


ORION++

thanks!
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Ultimate Open Baffle GalleryHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open baffle or no baffle for nearfield full range monitors? mdevelde Full Range 19 18th November 2016 05:26 PM
Ultimate Open baffle for tannoy red 15 inch murphythecat8 Full Range 20 30th January 2013 01:29 AM
Upwards aligned open baffle? ( pop box meets open baffle ) OllBoll Full Range 3 28th March 2011 02:00 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio
Wiki