Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2019, 10:11 PM   #2671
charlie2 is offline charlie2  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE 604 View Post
Hello ,
here is my open baffle project . 24 zoll Fane "Colossus" , JBL 2360 with BMS coaxial drivers . For mid and high I use single ended amps with RE604 and E406N and EL86 push pull for the bass . The active crossover is from Behringer , the final version is a tube crossover in the future .
Kind regards , Alexander .
WOW.
Old 16th June 2019, 04:56 AM   #2672
Smirkr is offline Smirkr  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't know if this is the *ultimate OB* gallery or the ultimate OB *gallery* so I'll submit mine. I'll call them the OBsessions (can't believe that name's not taken).

I've been reading about OB speakers for the last 10 years or so and I've been wanting to give it a try. I'm so glad I did. I gathered up the parts and pieces to cobble these together and they are certainly something to be heard.

I've been building speakers and learning about this hobby since I was a teenager. Sealed, ported, transmission line, aperiodic venting, passive radiators; I've done it all. That's just bass alignments. There's not enough time to talk about crossover alignments.

This is my ultimate OB thread.

My OB's consist of two 12" SLS Peerless subs, a SB Acoustics SB20PFC30-4 midrange and a Beston RT002A dipole tweeter per side. I'm running a MiniDSP 2X4 between the woofers and mids and I have a cap and coil on the tweeters.

The accompanying equipment: Marantz SR5008 as preamp and surround amp, Sonance SA260 tweeter amp, Sonance SA275SE midrange amp, QSC GX3 woofer amp.

I've built and been involved with building many speakers over the last 30-ish years and these are by far the most satisfying to listen to.

I will caveat that by saying they are also the most complex.

Having said all that, I could live the rest of my life with this speaker system and be happy. (That's probably not going to happen)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OB's.jpg (532.3 KB, 759 views)
Old 16th June 2019, 08:53 AM   #2673
heinz1964 is offline heinz1964  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Smirkr

How is that SB Acoustics SB20PFC30-4 doing as a midrange?

The different test I have seen of it says it more like a woofer. And they recommend to use it up to 800 hz

best regards
uwe

PS I just bought 12 pieces of the 8 ohm version for a OB project
Old 16th June 2019, 09:10 PM   #2674
Smirkr is offline Smirkr  United States
diyAudio Member

These SB's are fantastic midrange drivers. The 8 ohm version appears to have some breakup up high but these 4 ohm versions just roll off at 5.6 Khz. That's it. You can (and I have) run these wide open on the top end. They give detailed, clean, low distortion midrange with no fuss or muss and they will get LOUD. I took a chance on these and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
Old 17th June 2019, 08:29 AM   #2675
Sebastian K is offline Sebastian K  Europe
diyAudio Member

This is only a CAD concept, but I put it here anyway because
  1. This thread needs more pictures
  2. I won't go on with that. A speaker that size would completely dominate my room, and I'm not bold enough for this. Maybe this helps someone.
This is a baffle sized 1150x400mm, with angled back sides. I'd play with absorption on the back, turning it into something cardiodid-ish.
Speakers are one 12" wideband on top (Fane 12-250TC - I love that thing!) and two 15" (maybe a Fane 15-400LF). Other speaker would be mirror imaged.

The drivers are large and different size. I thought I'd align them at one edge, and use a two color scheme to distract from the sheer size and the asymmetry. In the example, the area is split 250:150 mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg concept5.JPG (22.9 KB, 657 views)
Old 17th June 2019, 08:48 AM   #2676
Sebastian K is offline Sebastian K  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Oido 12 OBEM

This had already been mentioned by Juhazi in post #2074, but that image is gone and it's not on manufacturer's website anymore - I like the idea of having an acoustical lens to visually adapt the bass driver to the mid.
Visualize this together with my concept above...

(The reduced orifice should have no influence when crossed over low.)
Oido 12 OBEM with Acoustic Elegance Dipole18's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oidoaudio-sida-702x336.jpg (19.1 KB, 659 views)
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:33 AM   #2677
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default CD plus dipoles

Cutting corners and saving for a while, two walnut replica 1505B horns, above 12" full rangers in figured Bubinga open baffles, augmented each with a sealed sub, in case I want to cross them high.
Everyone but me says not to, but I'm the king of my castle, so I've done away with the throat adaptors, and directly loaded the horns with Fountek Neo X3.0 ribbons I already owned.
Crossover points are 175 and 2500, 4 slope active. Each tweeter has a 10uF Audyn Plus protection cap.
Got these running tonight, but they're not finished, since as usual I'm waffling on appearance choices.
To me, they sound better than my VanHalens did, with their dual BG Neo 10 single Neo 8 combo, augmented with open baffle 1525e woofers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190701_185558.jpg (881.8 KB, 348 views)
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:36 AM   #2678
carlthess40 is offline carlthess40  United States
diyAudio Member

Those look pretty cool
What plans did you build them from ?
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:41 AM   #2679
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlthess40 View Post
Those look pretty cool
What plans did you build them from ?
The horns are far beyond my skillset, I bought them from an eBay seller, at a second chance bid.
The easy part I designed myself.

Ultimate Open Baffle GalleryHide this!Advertise here!