Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2019, 12:30 PM   #2641
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewind View Post
Oh, heil no!

Interesting choice of woofers. I always liked the aluminum dust cones in my (ported) JBL woofers. I think it adds a little distortion and a little more detail than typical JBL 2225H.
I think metal woofers and mids play cleaner, below their resonances/ breakups than paper or plastic.
My 2" Dayton domes play very cleanly from about 600hz to 4000 Hz, really revealing what was upstream of them, while a similarly flat responsed Alpair 12P kind of prettifies everything.
But any makeup is a mask of sorts.
Old 4th March 2019, 12:52 PM   #2642
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx3stksm View Post
I don't have 18LX60 but have experience with another 18-inch unit 18G40, SM118/N and 18P80/Nd in open baffle operation. They sound excellent though my experience with a DIY speaker is only open baffle. I love their natural sound probably brought by no enclosure(woofer cone doesn't have air pressure). My open baffle isn't inside my listening room but at the border between the next room. This setup forces you to be a carpenter rather than an engineer. But you have the advantage of full usage of potential bass. It's not for a commercial product but for DIY use only because you need to sell both an open baffle and a house.
And no floor bounce

//
Old 5th March 2019, 10:29 AM   #2643
xx3stksm is offline xx3stksm  Japan
diyAudio Member

A skillful carpenter dominates SQ, IMHO.
Old 6th March 2019, 11:35 AM   #2644
Kjeldsen is offline Kjeldsen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx3stksm View Post
I don't have 18LX60 but have experience with another 18-inch unit 18G40, SM118/N and 18P80/Nd in open baffle operation. They sound excellent though my experience with a DIY speaker is only open baffle. I love their natural sound probably brought by no enclosure(woofer cone doesn't have air pressure). My open baffle isn't inside my listening room but at the border between the next room. This setup forces you to be a carpenter rather than an engineer. But you have the advantage of full usage of potential bass. It's not for a commercial product but for DIY use only because you need to sell both an open baffle and a house.
Isn't this rather IB than OB?
Old 7th March 2019, 04:25 AM   #2645
xx3stksm is offline xx3stksm  Japan
diyAudio Member

I don't know much about speaker theory. If IB means infinite baffle, my setup is probably IB rather than OB. My preference for OB mainly comes from its natural sound which is, I'm sure, brought by no pressure on the backside of the woofer cone. From such viewpoint, IB and OB are the same categories for me. Sealed enclosures are not. Quasi IB by an adjoining room is better than OB which has an inherent lack of bass. You can have an additional boost on bass by multi speakers. Four speakers is excellent to achieve natural bass. It can act as equalizer from 150Hz where each speaker becomes to have the same phase while more than 150Hz is at random(no boost occurs). If you are a carpenter, you can utilize an adjoining room and build a large room which is necessary for multi speakers. An electric engineer(it's me) totally can't overcome a carpenter in SQ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freq_eg.jpg (98.5 KB, 491 views)
Old 18th March 2019, 02:04 PM   #2646
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITsound View Post
I've had my fun with the Van Halen planar dynamic hybrids, but was missing the transient snap of my horns.
Plundered my Onken cabinets, and am trying no baffle for now, as the Van Halens can be modded for a slob sub.
So far so good; the 2 Celestions are quite good without a baffle, as long as they're close together.
This pic was from this morning, prior to me mucking things up with wire.
I may post if I figure a way to do that neatly.
Maybe the easiest build I've ever done, and I think the no stain no oil no finish gets the steampunkish mancavd look I was aiming for.
Loving the exaggerated dynamics and colourations. The BG stuff is great, but horns are the fun date.
Pretty happy with this design, so I bought some nice Acacia lumber,to redo the open frame.
I realized I have 4 four ohm and 2 eight ohm 1525e in house, so now the upper woofers are 8 ohms,wired in parallel with 2 series wired 4 ohm woofers,which are bolted together,clamshell.
Things are a little bit cleaner sounding, and the soundstage more 3D like this
The remaining two 1543 woofers will be for distributed deep bass , in one or two existing Onken cabinets.
Putting the clamshell-isobaric in ruined the blend with my old Polk or diy Dayton RSS 265HF-4 Subwoofers.
Pics next week, with the new frames.

Ultimate Open Baffle GalleryHide this!Advertise here!