Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

my first "real" diy open baffle

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: 19 users
Nice job. I can make out Eminence on the woofer. Is your midrange also Eminence?
Too, did you select drivers with similar efficiency and QTS., and do you hear any anomalies from centring your drivers in their baffles?
Yes with similar efficiency, celestion is 100db, fatal tweeter is 108db,
there is no anaomalies, not what i can hear

Reactions: 1 users
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Reactions: 1 user
my first "real" diy open baffle

View attachment 1296406
Robust nordic design ... I like it! And by the way: Nice socks also!

Nicely done Antealta. I would use square baffels, ... to minimize edge diffraction. Circle has has equal distance from centre, which results in biggest dips.
True. But then the optical charme of this design gets lost. It's not straightforward to find a really appealing compromise in terms of both acoustics and optics, and lot's of iterations may make you merrily go round in circles... But this is what a hobby may stand for?

As for me and in terms of baffle edge diffraction effects, let me re-iterate my oldies-but-goodies-examples of my early dipole adventures. In one of these iterative series, I experimented with some helicoid contours to optimize the spread of edge diffraction effects for the one, most critical single driver in terms of baffle diffracion. Retrospectively critisizing this approach, I admit that sometimes I enthousisasticly optimized for the wrong "most critcal" driver. Today my choices might be different. I also experimentally additionaly perforated some baffles for a partial, preliminary pressure compensation between the front and the back of the baffle. This approach worked quite well to influence on a single early single peaking region of the impulse response.

7_proto_c_3_full.JPG
A.jpg

4_proto_c_1_detail.JPG
B.jpg

And while doing so, as usual it is useful to make some granted anechoic free-field measurements on every iteration. You may use sine sweeps instead of chirps. In this case to avoid any interference with birds chirps.

proto_c4_meas_front.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Robust nordic design ... I like it! And by the way: Nice socks also!

True. But then the optical charme of this design gets lost. It's not straightforward to find a really appealing compromise in terms of both acoustics and optics, and lot's of iterations may make you merrily go round in circles... But this is what a hobby may stand for?

As for me and in terms of baffle edge diffraction effects, let me re-iterate my oldies-but-goodies-examples of my early dipole adventures. In one of these iterative series, I experimented with some helicoid contours to optimize the spread of edge diffraction effects for the one, most critical single driver in terms of baffle diffracion. Retrospectively critisizing this approach, I admit that sometimes I enthousisasticly optimized for the wrong "most critcal" driver. Today my choices might be different. I also experimentally additionaly perforated some baffles for a partial, preliminary pressure compensation between the front and the back of the baffle. This approach worked quite well to influence on a single early single peaking region of the impulse response.

View attachment 1297093 View attachment 1297094

View attachment 1297095 View attachment 1297101

And while doing so, as usual it is useful to make some granted anechoic free-field measurements on every iteration. You may use sine sweeps instead of chirps. In this case to avoid any interference with birds chirps.

View attachment 1297100
Thanks
Yes need warm socks😂.the winter is not letting go
the design idea,is so they float, The speaker ,not the socks😂

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Damar is a laquer, it dries stiff. It does have an intoxicating smell.

You have to watch the damar… too much and the driver is ruined. I only ever used it for quite specialized purposes.

If you ar egoing to treat a paper cone something that remains flexible like puzzlekoat/mod podge is a better choice IMO.

dave

Last edited:
Hey I like what you did to the celestion can you explain where you get the phase plug and what material you use and the little felt pads where you get them from and the coating on them what is it damar would like to know if you don't mind
i have made the phase with a woodturning machine,it's spruce, the felt pads is just furniture pads and the cone is treated/dopped with JOHA oil varnish