Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

If you mean the Arum Cantus, they haven't arrived yet.

Normally I do active crossovers with DSP, but this time I'm doing a hybrid system with passive crossovers, then active EQ on top of that for dipole EQ and response shaping.

I have the MiniDSP Pwr-Ice which has the EQ and amp in the one box.

No, I am asking about the Neo 10 dipole you described and displayed a photograph of in your post.

No, I am asking about the Neo 10 dipole you described and displayed a photograph of in your post.

I use active DSP to counter dipole roll-off and the dipole peak.

I don't have a rising response in the treble.

Here is the response with a shelving filter on the bottom end, and a notch for the dipole peak at 900Hz.

I cross at 3000.

Attachments

• Neo10 response.jpg
    Neo10 response.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,602
Nice. I guess they changed it. The Parts Express PDF showed BG graphs for the first Neo 10 foursome I have, on a standard flat baffle, and it had a huge and long ride from about 500 hertz to maybe 6000 hertz. It advised that a 1 litre cabinet or so would boost the 300 hertz depression considerably, but wouldn't affect the rise.
I wound up, with single units, by using a little larger than a I litre chamber behind the unit, with a 3" round port directly behind the centre of the driver, about 3/4" long.
Worked pretty well, and paired well with a Neo 3PDR.
I just checked Parts Express, and see the new GRS planars similar to mine are a little differently constructed , no or little foam, and a narrower bandwidth.

Mono setup in the cellar, our (3 daughters and myself) DIY cave!

12"Woofers are MCM 55-3212, 8 pieces. The OSB plates are used for slot loading (reduce Fs) as well as to hold the MCMs. The 32 FR units are the new 3"FR units from SB acoustics SB Acoustics SB10PGC21-4 - 3" Full-range

2 way crossover is done with Equalizer APO and Peace and a Asus Xonar U7 (Just thinking I could use a higher quality stereo USB DAC instead of this multichannel unit). Amplifier is a AVR3801 from Denon. Compensation for dipole roll off on both arrays, notch filter for the dipole peak, and a notch filter on the 12k peak from the FR units, reducing the peak and its corresponding 3rd order harmonic (mentioned elsewhere on the forum).

Listening is really nice when being at least 3m away from the speakers. I would say I get a lot of "microdetail" from them. It is motivating me to dust off some of the tube amplifiers!

The cellar is narrow and long (2x15m), so can't do more than mono. But the nice results inspired me to move on to a line array in the living room, more details and questions in this thread.
Dipole Line array with GRS Slim 8" and Visaton WS25e

Attachments

• 2020-12-13 21.43.19.jpg
    2020-12-13 21.43.19.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 1,477
Looking forward to seeing these monsters! I'm sure you will like the presentation.

Hopefully you can move the GRS Slim XOVER down a bit once the arrays are in position. I wanted to try and get close to the 1/4 wavelength between the midrange and woofer panel due to the side by side forced placement of the drivers but it might not matter that much in your room/listening position.

Well, I'm not going to download the PDF for you
I guess you equalized it then

Sorry, I thought I made that clear. Yes, I equalise the Neo10s (and the Aurum Canttus).

In my baffle the Neo10 should have a 12db low-shelf boost at 200Hz with a .5Q.

Because I am doing passive and need to blend with the Satori, I use an 8db peaking filter instead.

I then EQ the dipole peak around 800Hz.

At the top. crossing over at 300Hz takes care of the rising response.

This isn't as precise as fully active, but still works acceptably.

Fat eggs with Lii Audio F15

I hope this works as you expected.
How did you determined position of the driver? Did you make any previous calculations or you made this as a trial. How is bass response with your egg design? Overall satisfaction with Lii Audio driver? My experience with open baffle was Visaton NoBox and I can not forgive my self for letting it go from my home so I have a plan to make something like your project in the very near future.
H a p p y N e w Y e a r to all OB enthusiasts!!

I hope this works as you expected.
How did you determined position of the driver? Did you make any previous calculations or you made this as a trial. How is bass response with your egg design? Overall satisfaction with Lii Audio driver? My experience with open baffle was Visaton NoBox and I can not forgive my self for letting it go from my home so I have a plan to make something like your project in the very near future.
H a p p y N e w Y e a r to all OB enthusiasts!!

I was inspired by the Big Betsy thread on the Decware forum (same driver height, baffle width and 7° tilt). Didn't like its barrel shape, so turned to nature for something more organic :) First and final educated shot in the dark.

Very impressed with the driver, but it needs serious break-in (now still at < 50 hours). Open and delicate midrange and highs, midbass impact, immediacy, detail, 'fast' & smoothing out with the hours... They are very bass capable as EQ reveals, but bass is not as loud as expected. Now running with 8db boost at 100hz and that's about right for tonal balance. IMO you'll need either subs or a bass boost to get the low end up to par. Will hopefully evolve some more with break-in.

Goal is high eff (100db/w), no crossover, no EQ + active subwoofers taking over at around 100hz. Tube amps' dream :bulb:

The F15 seems perfect for this with its flat response. The F18 and several other Liis look schizophrenic in comparison.

Best wishes
Simon

Reactions: 1 user