Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

It will enlarge distance between front and back, but also introduces a compression that
- increases the driver's Q (--> the driver's roll off will be pushed down in frequcency)
- in the near field "shoots" the sound out of the baffle towards the listener (increased spl and impact)

It will also function as a low pass filter, i.e. the higher frequencies will be affected in a negative way.

I know, it's not a build forum.

But I'm seeking advice on whether to stick with figured veneer for the top and sides of these 17.5"× 47.5" baffles, or contrast them with a straight grained hardwood, like on sale maple or red oak.
Keeping the drivers simple looking, just an Alpair 12P per side, possibly with a Fountek silver ribbon atop them, if my aging ears need them.

Attachments

• 2016-07-01 17.14.07.jpg
    2016-07-01 17.14.07.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 2,277
Gorgeous piece of veneer, but I tend to try for as much symmetry in figuring / patterns on larger cabinets - something that can be hard to achieve with the highly figured or burls, but much easier with quarter/rift cut, book-matched flat sliced, or even birdseye patterns. Some of the newer engineered (reconstituted) veneers are quite interesting for that - not inexpensive however .

What brand is this OB?
hifiakademie Dipol 2x15-8
Hi Orlando,
did you make these?
how wide is the gap?
does it extend the lows?
how far?
they look like: I want to build these too!

i dond make these, its a german open bafle brand ....::: HIFIAkademie.de :::....
however I build a clone :drink:

these use a comercial diy drivers

-1xTang band w8-1772
-2xGladen RS 15 Free-Air

so you can build a clone 100% with the same drivers

Attachments

• dipol_0a.pdf
    601.7 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
hifiakademie Dipol 2x15-8

i dond make these, its a german open bafle brand ....::: HIFIAkademie.de :::....
however I build a clone :drink:

these use a comercial diy drivers

-1xTang band w8-1772
-2xGladen RS 15 Free-Air

so you can build a clone 100% with the same drivers

WOW!
Share some photos of your creation please.
I am seriously thinking of trying on aperture controlled (or SLOB whichever you are comfortable with) OB. I have made on Ripole sub and OB mid/high. Itching to make something a little bit different.
I shall try combining a FR with a tweeter as a co-axial mid/high, where the low frequencies shall be played through SLOB way.

WOW!
Share some photos of your creation please.
I am seriously thinking of trying on aperture controlled (or SLOB whichever you are comfortable with) OB. I have made on Ripole sub and OB mid/high. Itching to make something a little bit different.
I shall try combining a FR with a tweeter as a co-axial mid/high, where the low frequencies shall be played through SLOB way.

I have been thinking of trying to coaxial too. the car-audio coaxial often work as infinite baffles so that could be used in open baffle, the trouble is that most car audio drivers are rubbish, but there are exceptions.

This coaxial attracts me, PC 165F - Focal I think i'll give it a chance
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sorry for my bad English

I have been thinking of trying to coaxial too. the car-audio coaxial often work as infinite baffles so that could be used in open baffle, the trouble is that most car audio drivers are rubbish, but there are exceptions.

This coaxial attracts me, PC 165F - Focal I think i'll give it a chance
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sorry for my bad English

Good day. I am sure if the woofer to back, it will be the best solution

Attachments

• post_9252_1467642410_29c5977b581f752047f2bd8240b28395.attach.jpg
    post_9252_1467642410_29c5977b581f752047f2bd8240b28395.attach.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,376
  • DSC_0416.jpg
    DSC_0416.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 1,396
  • DSC_0414.jpg
    DSC_0414.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 1,366
Last edited:
Less than ultimate open baffle

There are some beautifully executed projects in this thread.
This is not one of those!

Recently we were getting rid of a wooden file cabinet. Once it was disassembled I thought this is everything I need to make my next prototype.

The design concepts are based on the work of John K. The bass is a damped U-frame with 10 Inch peerless XLS woofer. The faux wood sides were the file drawer fronts, leaving the handles on makes them easy to move out from the wall.

The upper mid and tweeter are an 18sound 6nd430 and TG9 fullrange, 1KHz 4th order acoustic crossover via minisharc DSP

Sounds better than it looks.:)

-Dave

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    694.3 KB · Views: 773
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 683
There are some beautifully executed projects in this thread.
This is not one of those!

Recently we were getting rid of a wooden file cabinet. Once it was disassembled I thought this is everything I need to make my next prototype.

The design concepts are based on the work of John K. The bass is a damped U-frame with 10 Inch peerless XLS woofer. The faux wood sides were the file drawer fronts, leaving the handles on makes them easy to move out from the wall.

The upper mid and tweeter are an 18sound 6nd430 and TG9 fullrange, 1KHz 4th order acoustic crossover via minisharc DSP

Sounds better than it looks.:)

-Dave
Nothing wrong with inexpensive experiments!

Hi Tyimo,

It is certainly not the same area. This is a quite smart and (IMHO) good looking way to enlarge the distance between the back and the front of the unit. Result is a better bass performance.

I have used the SLOB in various of my speaker attempts and it works very well.

Since this is a gallery some pics of my OB attempt using the same principle: the Poormans PAP 12 (inspired by the Pure Audio Project PAP 15)

Sort of Open Band Pass woofers ?