Usher 8945P/Peerless 810921 MT 2-way: Listening Impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you're interested in this design, here's a review from a person who built it. He used Parts Express 1 cu ft (28 liter) curved cabinets for this project. To reach the required 22 liter volume, he added bracing heavily, which I think was an excellent idea. He also used the tweeter lower rolloff adjustment option by using 10 uF primary cap value instead of the 12 uF default one.

Interestingly, he compared the design to B&W 802D's in a listening test. No wonder (at least to me) how they performed so well compared to the B&W's, considering that this design uses one of the best performing drivers on the DIY market.

-jAy

--------------------------------------------
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Jay,

I told you I would get back to you to tell you how they sound. I can tell you that these things are amazing. The soundstage is especially huge. It is wide and deep. They are very good at dissapearing into the soundstage. I am still experimenting with them though. But I did compare them to a pair of B&W 802D's and they held there own. In fact mine dissapeared better than the others. Mine of course couldn't match their bass output. But believe it or not they came very close. Mine had much tighter bass though. Mine were voiced similar and the soundstage on mine was incredible. My girlfriend thought the B&W's failed to show her why they cost so much. She said they were cool looking but that is as far as it went. The stand up sit down test is a non point. I can walk in a huge window, sit down stand up and they sound almost exactly the same. There is definately no head in vice here. I want to thank you so much for your help. I also told you I would sent some pics. Here is a couple for ya, of the innards.

Ron

------------------------------------------

I have all five done now. They sound awesome. Now have to build subs to match. Man this stuff is tiring

Ron

------------------------------------------
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Man, Usher makes some nice drivers. If it wasn't for a 1200hz deep, this driver would be pretty close to perfect. I do suggest measuring each driver you use though. One out of my pair, had a nasty bump and deep at about 4khz. Not that it is important, because nobody in the rite mind will use this woofer that high but it brings attention to a potential consistency problem. The drivers are made in Korea or China?
Nice build.

Thanks for the comments guys. I want to especially thank Jay Kim for the help he gave me during this project. You guys will not be disapointed with his designs and or his help. It took me months to get him my pics and he took an hour at most to get back to me with answers to my questions. I thank you Jay Kim. Now on to the speakers. I am still fine tuning these babies I just don't want to have to pull the crossovers out one more time. I believe I want to go with a 11 uf C9 I believe that is the right position. They are very smooth now but I miss some of the openness they had with the 12 uf in there. So I think I can get the best of both worlds with the 11 UF. But that means taking five speakers apart to get in there. :bawling: But anyway I am going to check the speakers as a whole as soon as I get my darn mic mixer. I am going to test each speaker meaning left right center surround etc;. I have the program and the Behringer mic and stand. Just need the mixer and mic cable. I know that China, Korea and Taiwan have some qc problems but I was told these drivers are all pretty tight. I even matched up the stickers that were on the magnets. I think it is for impedance figures but I still matched them up. Also sorry I didn't realize the speakers had fingerprints on them like that.

R-Carpenter said:
Man, Usher makes some nice drivers. If it wasn't for a 1200hz deep, this driver would be pretty close to perfect. I do suggest measuring each driver you use though. One out of my pair, had a nasty bump and deep at about 4khz. Not that it is important, because nobody in the rite mind will use this woofer that high but it brings attention to a potential consistency problem. The drivers are made in Korea or China?
Nice build.

Usher is a Taiwan manufacturer. They have a different company history than some recent China brands. Their products are known to be highly consistent. I guess you received an inconsistent pair out of luck. I have three of 8945P's. I measured them using my crude measurement setup---but I believe sufficient for comparison purpose---, and had a surprisingly consistent result.

As you noted, their build quality is superb. The gap around phase plug is extremely tight and no air leaking.

When I get a chance, I'll post filter transfer functions of two versions of my crossovers---one is the one published at my website and the other is one I experimented with to implement LR2 acoustic filters. I'll show how I dealt with the 1200 Hz dip and the 3-4 kHz breakup.

I was pretty seriously desiring to build your 8945P MTM vented floorstander. Has anyone built this and sent comments or measurements? Also, I would really like to buy a pre-built cabinet, but the only floorstander I've been able to find is this one from Madisound, but only being 38" tall I think puts the tweeter at about 28" high. The volume is smaller than what you specify, but I've fooled around w/ the tuning in WinISD and I think re-adjusting the port size would be no problem. Other than putting the whole thing on a 6" or so stand does anyone have any ideas? Or, if the stand is a must, any ideas for something that wouldn't look ridiculous?

Hey m0tion,

Yeah, you may need a stand with the Madisound cabinet. The 38 liter volume is certainly workable. With a 2" ID tube, you'll be able to tune it to your preference.

There is a person who's building this MTM floorstander. He's been working on cabinets for a couple of months. Here's a photo of his cabinet:

I haven't received listening impressions from him yet.

In your situation, a TMM design should be a simple solution. I actually have a TMM design with the 8945P's and the 9950 tweeter. Let me know if you're interested.

Yes exactly, sealed in-wall TM. The concept came from a desire by my fiance to have a less visible system since it will be located in the den and not a dedicated music / HT room. Fortunately this room is located right next to the garage, so my thought for the subwoofer is 4 x 15" in an infinite baffle configuration :devilr: . So, yes, I intend to use a subwoofer and cross at about 80Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.