Seas coax for center channel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was wondering if any one has used a coax like the Seas H1143
for a center channel driver? I would think that such a driver would be well suited for a center channel speaker. Single point source and time alinged. I have been trying to figure out what driver is used in the Vandersteen centers.
I just happened into this forum, great site. I have been building speakers for awhile Dyna,Vifa, Peerless. I have built a great isobarik sub for the car using Dynaudio 24W100s.
Thanks all.

Rick,

I asked a general question about the SEAS CoAx's 'quality' on this forum a couple of days ago.
No-one seems to know much about them (I assume as a few hits but no replies).
However, started a thread on the Madisound Discussion page and got some interest - have a look over there.
D Murphy is having a play with them so watch out for his results.
I think they would make an interesting alternative the normal two way solutions.
The Gradient website is also worth a look www.gradient.fi, as they appear to use these units and get (reportedly) good results in what is described as 'high end' designs.

Cheers,
Si

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks Simon for the reply I will take a look at your other thread. The link you sent kind of confirms what I saw with Vandersteen's center also. They, (Seas, Vifa) must be doing a custom build of the co-ax that incorporates an alloy dome instead of an the "off the shelf" fabric. I'm glad their is similar interest in this idea. I would enjoy hearing any other ideas and comments on this. The only drawback I have heard of might be some on axis phasing problems with use of this driver.
Thanks again, Rick.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.