Crossover design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tinitus said:
.. its much better to use the whole space with as much distance between the coils as possible
absolutely.

even placing the different driver filters onto separate mounting boards will help.

orient the coils in different directions X Y Z axes through individual coils.

Split the filters/drivers into separate circuits, allowing future use of bi-wiring or even passive bi-amping.

Hi,

If youre interested, i did a design with Peerless 6" and 1" HDS drivers for DanskAudioTeknik last year.

HDS kit

Its the last of the 4 kits, on the page.

1740-d_2.jpg

1740-d_3.jpg

1740-d_4.jpg

Finished project

Well they are done and running. They sound great. Ill let em run in and listen to more music before making any comparisons.

The cabinets are 19mm MDF and the baffles are MDF reinforced Marri (Western Australian redgum). They match the rest of the furniture. Im going to do a set of shelf 2 ways for general use and use Sheoak.

LINK: http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh36/savage99-2007/?action=view&current=DSC02416.jpg

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh36/savage99-2007/?action=view&current=DSC02415.jpg

Thanks to all who helped, with a big thank you to Jay

Wow, those look great, Steve!

BTW, you centered the tweeter without an offset. In this case, the speaker's on-axis response will be a little different from what I designed, due to different diffraction patterns. A bit of off-axis listening with no (or very small) toe-in will help flatten the response.

And will you share some more details of your build? For example,

- Did you use exact crossover component values as specifed in the schematic? What kind of coil did you use for L2?
- Did you use default values for C9 and R10, or tried other values?
- Cabinet dimensions and internal volume?
- Bass tuning frequency (or port tube diameter and length)?

jAy

Build

I used the closest/exact specs in the schematic for all values. The only exception was the coil D2 and was a Perfect Layer 1.2mH 14ga and was from parts-express.
I havnt played with the resistors and have stuck with the default C9 as I have run out of time and oomf, they do sound good, very good. The material is MDF 18mm, dimensions; 320mm deep 240mm wide and 1100mm high. They have 4 large cross braces internally and 80mm (dia) 120mm long ports. The internal surfaces are lined with high density foam underlay and have an audio filler (not sure what it's called).The baffle is (removable) a laminate of 18mm MDF and a wood native to this area called Marri. The woofer holes are chamfered at the back as per Zaphs recommendations. The cable is the thickest copper cable I could stomach having lying around the loungeroom, (it would handle 3 phase 410 volt no sweat)
Im happy with the result. Thanks for the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.