original crossover schematics for clone ATC SCM 100

The active version uses 16 ohm because it has the same amplifiers 200W for the bass (8 Ohm)and midrange (16 ohm) for cutting costs down I suppose as It really doesnt matter in active crossover. Making it 200+100+50=350 W per speaker.

The passive version uses 8 ohm midrange for an ease of build of the passive crossover as the rest of the drivers are also 8 ohm.

ATC told me otherwise.
Regards
Chris

Well, I dont know what they told you Chris. I have just stated facts I know. In the active SCM50/100 you find 16 ohm mids (Super), in passive SCM35/40 - 8 ohm (non-Super). The reason behind that was my guess. I know that you can buy on the market both 8ohm and 16ohm version but in Standard, as Super is reserved for ATC actives only.

I am going to build the active "clone" with DEQX crossover and 6 channel amp. DEQX gives you a lot of possibilities to check out diffrent crossover points and slopes. You can also change tweeters and adjust that in DEQX easily. I think future belongs to active DSP designs. So if you have trouble with passive xover go active with cheap miniDSP instead and D class amps like Hypex.

The only chance is to ask sb with the right equipment and knowledge to come to your place, unplug the drivers from the passive xover, connect them directly to the binding posts and use electronic xover. I did that with my DIY project based on Scan Speaks drivers I had bought second hand and the diffrence was night and day. As I said the future belongs to active DSP designs and their cost is going down.

It is so easy to choose between diffrent filters, xover points, slopes. You can EQ frequency response, it is easy to blend the sytem with extra subwoofers. Really I cant see any disadvantages apart from the cost. And you dont have to know how to design passive xover although you do have to own a measurement equipment to see the changes.

Last edited:
This weekend I am finally changing my x-over in my clone (currently a modified Proac xover) to the ATC version shown here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...atics-clone-atc-scm-100-a-13.html#post3026299

Very curious to see the differences. The only thing I will have to fiddle with is the T-Pads for the mid and tweeter, since I have the less efficient mid - I may even not need it for the mid! Would rather avoid having the signal go through resistors...

I have my own passive versions with the crossover to the mid at 700hz and the tweet at 3.5k and I can tell you they sound better that the Active's I have done side by side comparison with 2 other friends and the vote was unanimous. The midrange is the best I have ever heard form any speaker. I use the Scan BE tweeter up top and the highs are sublime. The speakers also sound great with just 80 watts of valve power and just get better as you climb the amplifier chain.

Cool - Are you willing to post your crossover??

I have my own passive versions with the crossover to the mid at 700hz and the tweet at 3.5k and I can tell you they sound better that the Active's I have done side by side comparison with 2 other friends and the vote was unanimous. The midrange is the best I have ever heard form any speaker. I use the Scan BE tweeter up top and the highs are sublime. The speakers also sound great with just 80 watts of valve power and just get better as you climb the amplifier chain.

Hello

Are you prepared to share the crossover?

Thanks

Simon :)

I am continiously reading that ATC SCM100 lacks deep bass..
I am considering a Wilmslow Audio K100 kit but what about the bass issue?
I dont would want to need additional subwoofers if I build speakers that size

Hi Hugo

I built the Wilmslow Audio K50 kit earlier in the year (based on the SCM50) and the bass is plentiful. I really don't see what a subwoofer would add - the bass extension is superb.

My kit was purchased before they switched to using a Volt mid-range driver. It would be worth contacting them to see if the crossover has been revised as the Volt and ATC mid-ranges have different recommended crossover frequencies.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Hugo

I built the Wilmslow Audio K50 kit earlier in the year (based on the SCM50) and the bass is plentiful. I really don't see what a subwoofer would add - the bass extension is superb.

My kit was purchased before they switched to using a Volt mid-range driver. It would be worth contacting them to see if the crossover has been revised as the Volt and ATC mid-ranges have different recommended crossover frequencies.

Hi Chris,

thanks, I already got hold of a pair of those ATC mid drivers second hand and ATC 12" bass driver.. so I should come close :)
gonna listen to some SCM100ASL in out local hi-fi shop next week.
from there I'll take my decision if I give it a go or sell the chassis and keep looking .. thank you

have you ever had the chance to compare to real ATCs SCM50?
does the Wilmslow Kit come close?

No I haven't been able to compare. I'd be surprised if they sound significantly different given that the K kits were designed with input from ATC.

The mid driver and tweeters are both closed-back units so I would think the cabinet has minimal influence on the performance of those. The positioning and alignment of all drivers looks to be similar to the SCM50.

It would be interesting to compare the crossover schematic with that of the genuine article.