Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Discussion arising from Geddes loudspeaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2008, 03:40 PM   #291
MJL21193 is offline MJL21193  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN

There's a difference between learning and misinformation. The talk relating to MDF is misinformation. Nothing to be learned from that.
Learning is up to the individual. To take everything at face value is not learning. To question the idea, to think about how it works, to research is to learn.

Dave didn't invent this. There are other reliable sources that give the same information.
Old 27th April 2008, 03:52 PM   #292
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Comments on Unity Horn--Unity Waveguide

Mr Geddes,

Have you studied Tom Danley's Unity Horn enough to present a technical summary of the value and issues?

Would a Unity Waveguide have superior performance to the flat sided CD horns Mr. Danley produces? Would your foam lining help Unity horns or waveguides?
Old 27th April 2008, 03:53 PM   #293
dlr is offline dlr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193

Dave didn't invent this. There are other reliable sources that give the same information.
Please point us to the reliable source that proves his contention that MDF is totally unsuitable for boxes.

Dave
Old 27th April 2008, 03:56 PM   #294
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

Quote:

Yes but in this case that hasn't happened. The question was posed as to MDF's unsuitability to loudspeaker construction.

Isn't it easier to say the word preference? If you say MDF is unsuitable for loudspeaker construction or a particular bracing scheme is more effective than another then surely you need a pretty conclusive data set to affirm these absolutes?

Why would others want to tread down a path that is obviously just someone's preference. Shame that P10 didn't say as such and hid such things behind arguments proving nothing.

The Enabl threads are, ahem, special. Please don't bring the sentiments spilling over in those into this one. Yes I have seen the sentence you typed a number of times in Enable topics.

Any claim needs to backed up especially if its touted as making the others methods unsuitable. Asking someone to define, quantify and prove a claim is natural.

The way you put it would have us believe its wrong to do so because your then effectively become a leech.
To ask for data is not wrong, but to impose the responsibility on the person sharing experience to provide proof is not good practice. There may be many circumstances where people willing to share experiences are bound by non-dislclosure terms about specific data. Why should they be obligated to provide data prove anything if others can just do their own research accordingly if they wish? For example, there are various data showing differences between different material type. Since specific brand or specifications are not revealed, is it the responsibility of the data provider to provide more specific information? Or do we just accept the fact that the issue still needs individual investigation, and the final performance depend on specific implementation and design skills?

I agree that there are many ways to express optinions. As far as I have read through this thread, I cannot see anything really claiming other methods unsuitable, just different opinions on what works better. As long as nobody gets too agressive in requesting the so called "proof", we should be able to have good discussion on how to come up with better design applications. For example, most panel tests might have assumed rectangular panel, and we all know that the panel modes will also differ with shape, so it seems perfectly good practice to use shape to reduce panel resonances such as in your own designs.

So I really think which material to use depends on design and other constraints.
Old 27th April 2008, 04:02 PM   #295
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

What is this person called in english...he is walking through the town palying his flute, and all the rats follow him out of town and over the cliff
I must state that I have no one in particualar in mind, but its a known fenomena in deluting the human mind
You can see it today in climate debate where "experts" claim CO2 to be the cause of climate changes
More skilled scientists has proven that there are other much more powerfull factors in play, but too late, the ball is rolling and billion of dollars wasted on bringing down CO2, money that could be used much better
Old 27th April 2008, 04:03 PM   #296
ShinOBIWAN is offline ShinOBIWAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193

Learning is up to the individual. To take everything at face value is not learning. To question the idea, to think about how it works, to research is to learn.
Where'd you read that? A Chinese fortune cookie?

In this case no research is needed for me. Plenty of common knowledge knocking around as to why MDF is a suitable material for loudspeaker cabinets. I've built loudspeakers out of MDF, it works and pretty well too. I've also built loudspeakers out of ply so have a feel for the coloration each provides.

If something performs better and its in the realm of practicality for my situation you can believe I'll give it a go. I'm often trying out new ideas or products, generally they focus on area's that give larger performance gains ie. new drivers, crossover methods, new loudspeakers, room etc.

Which reminds me. I already found an approach to loudspeaker construction that isn't far off negating audible cabinet borne noise so why on earth am I arguing? Shutting up and going back to more important things.
Old 27th April 2008, 04:12 PM   #297
diyAudio Member

I do recall reading somewhere that a design for the JX92S was tried using aluminum panels, hardwood, and MDF, and the builders liked the aluminum panel built the most. Just can't remember where I put that link.
Old 27th April 2008, 04:14 PM   #298
pinkmouse is offline pinkmouse  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

No politics please Tinitus. You know the rules.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 27th April 2008, 04:17 PM   #299
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
What is this person called in english...he is walking through the town palying his flute, and all the rats follow him out of town and over the cliff
I must state that I have no one in particualar in mind, but its a known fenomena in deluting the human mind
You can see it today in climate debate where "experts" claim CO2 to be the cause of climate changes
More skilled scientists has proven that there are other much more powerfull factors in play, but too late, the ball is rolling and billion of dollars wasted on bringing down CO2, money that could be used much better
More data here pertaining to your question.
http://www.indiana.edu/~librcsd/etext/piper/
Old 27th April 2008, 04:17 PM   #300
MJL21193 is offline MJL21193  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

Quote:

Where'd you read that? A Chinese fortune cookie?

In this case no research is needed for me. Plenty of common knowledge knocking around as to why MDF is a suitable material for loudspeaker cabinets.

I am sounding rather zen-like today... excuse me, I need to fresh the water in my hookah...

No, don't get me wrong, I wasn't referring to MDF. I still think MDF is fine for speaker building. It's not my first choice anymore though.

Discussion arising from Geddes loudspeakerHide this!Advertise here!