SEAS CoAx's - Anyone tried / heard them ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wilmslow Audio list 3 Co-Axials from SEAS in their new catalogue.
Never noticed them before:
MP14RE
P17RXE
T17REX
Tweeters are time aligned with woofer centres a la KEF Uni-Q type arrangement. Quite cheap too...

Wondered wether anyone had tried them out. Are they any 'good' (whatever that means) ?

Would consider using them in an active 3 way if comments positive.

Si.

Great in a car

I don't think these are the new ones you are talking about, because I got them from Madisound about a year ago. But I have a pair of 6.5" coaxes with the cocentric tweeter from Seas in my '95 Jetta. They are in fairly tiny handmade fiberglass enclosures. I really can't tell you how they sound in an enclosure made just for them, because I made these enclosures to take up minimal kickpanel space and to aim in the proper directions. At first they sounded fairly compressed and the midbass was insanely strong, almost drowning out the rest of the music, and the midrange was awefully strong as well, so after some experimentation I finished by putting a Deflex panel on the back wall of the enclosure (because it is SO close to the back of the driver) and I stuffed it almost to full capacity with poly fill (thinking of changing that to acousta-stuff to see if it really is better). I can now honestly say that they are the best sounding speakers I have heard to date. People listening to my car, people who are familiar with very high-end home audio speaker (like myself), constantly are saying that they have never heard better sound in a house or in a car. I don't know if I just got lucky with the balance on these or what, but at lest I can tell you that they have the capability of sounding amazing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.