Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers
The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2010, 03:46 PM   #841
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
But while you're here: how are you coming along with the elliptical waveguide? One day I'd like to own loudspeakers that allow me to remove absorption from the floor and the ceiling.
Advanced development is completely stalled - I am swamped with work. I had a guy helping but now I don't, so I have no target date. I have changed the cabinet and crossover design on the Abbey.
Old 20th March 2010, 03:48 PM   #842
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is there any polar data available for that speaker?

Best, Markus
Your kidding, right?
Old 20th March 2010, 03:57 PM   #843
markus76 is offline markus76  Germany
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Advanced development is completely stalled
That's bad news.

Is the data on your website already from the 12a version? By the way, please fully label your diagrams. People might link them from other places and important information will be lost.
Old 20th March 2010, 04:05 PM   #844
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Your kidding, right?
Well, it's pretty pointless to buy a loudspeaker that claims to have certain characteristics without showing these characterisctics in a meaningsful way. "The new Porsche Boxter Spyder has hundreds of horse power" - would anybody accept that kind of specification?
Old 20th March 2010, 04:23 PM   #845
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's bad news.

Is the data on your website already from the 12a version? By the way, please fully label your diagrams. People might link them from other places and important information will be lost.
No. The looks will change, but not so much the performance, but there are two changes that make a little difference - the crossover and a larger foam plug. I have not posted the results from these yet - again, no time.

I dont follow "please fully label your diagrams"?
Old 20th March 2010, 04:39 PM   #846
Banned

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

What does each frequency response represent? Smoothing? Is the impuls gated?
Old 20th March 2010, 04:41 PM   #847
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
how dare You to ask such questions?

after all it's "25cm W by 49cm H by 31cm" Transmission Line with OptiSlope crossover (60 dB/octave)

Old 20th March 2010, 04:57 PM   #848
ThorstenL is offline ThorstenL  Germany
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
I took some off axis curves when I measured, but I do not have a nice turntable. When I get around to measuring them again I might spend more time on the off axis response.

As for the "kidding part", using the same approach characterising the speaker speaker as I did in my long gone pro-audio days I'd call the HF/Upper-MF unit 60 Deg (H) X 20 Deg (V). Directivity is actually quite constant for this planar/horn combo, after equalising the (expected) HF rolloff up to around 15KHz and down to the X-Over frequency.

Due to the relatively large diameter LF unit we have a reasonable seamless link in terms of off-axis response in the horizontal plane, in the vertical plane there is a pretty serious step, but it seems to cause not all that much trouble (contrary to expectations).

Still, things get a little more interesting when two units are stacked tweeter to tweeter with the fairly significant distance of the LF units now producing some substantial reduction of vertical dispersion angle.

Hence my take to use two of my LF units in MTM around a very large magnetostat/horn combo to get a better match of directivity in the vertical plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaf View Post
after all it's "25cm W by 49cm H by 31cm" Transmission Line with OptiSlope crossover (60 dB/octave)
It is not a transmission line. Nor does it say it anywhere that it is a transmission line. It says "Transmission Line Port", which is a nickname that got stuch due to the way that port is folded up, similar to a TL.

As for the 60dB/8ve, that is real. And the step response still does not look too shabby. I find that the worst crossovers are those with slopes that in-between. Fourth order acoustic seems especially bad from experience. I find no-xover (single way) or 1st order in most cases preferable. Where that does not work too well using very steep slope crossovers works rather well. You may want to try.

Ciao T
Old 20th March 2010, 05:02 PM   #849
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
When I get around to measuring them again I might spend more time on the off axis response.
That would be very nice. 'Til then I keep on waiting for Earl's elliptical waveguide to happen.
Old 20th March 2010, 05:10 PM   #850
ThorstenL is offline ThorstenL  Germany
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
That would be very nice. 'Til then I keep on waiting for Earl's elliptical waveguide to happen.
Your call. You may still want to have a look at (and listen to) the larger size and format pro audio magnetostats with waveguides. Quite a few actually have pretty good "Constant directivity" and high sensitivity coupled with decent power handling at prices that make them quite attractive.

And they sound like no compression driver I have heard ever did. It is hard to go back to anything else after you get used to these though.

Ciao T

The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing SpeakersHide this!Advertise here!