Dayton RS28A-4 vs Seas 27TBFCG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Two tweeters, Dayton RS28A-4 vs Seas 27TBFCG. Has anyone done a comparison between these two tweeters? I'm sure they sound different form one another.

Zaph Audio has an interesting MTM project using the Seas 27TBFCG. Whereas Parts Express has a DIY kit featuring Reference Series Drivers including the RS180S-8 7" Woofers and RSRS28A-4.

The whole cut-outs and recesses seem close enough so that the tweeters for each project could be swapped out, Dayton RS28A-4 to Seas 27TBFCG and visa versa. Of course the x-overs would be different.

I'm wondering which project sound better.

I've tried both and also the 27TDFC, Peerless HDS & North D25 all had pretty much 104 mm faceplates. Just the slots for the terminals were a bit different for every driver.
All are very good low distortion tweeters.
It would be to hard for me to pick one for you. I liked them all and could live with any one of them.
You would have to try them yourself as you might like cymbals or high hats or other instruments to sound the way you'd like them to.
Each have very minor differences and what I hear may not be what you'll hear from them.
If you were to twist my arm and make me cry 'uncle' I might side with the RS28 as it is pretty much neutral sounding to me compared with the others.

Are the grills as tough/rugged as the Seas grill?
Looks like it's a finer, more fragile mesh.
Is that accurate?

JohnQ from PE review:
"This can provide a level of child proofing."
What level?
What does this mean?

Seas is childproof.
Is the Usher?

Last edited:
I have the 27TBFCG. I find cymbals to be flat sounding, like someone hitting a saucepan lid instead of a cymbal. Vocals are good though. I compared them directly with a Morel MDT30 - the morel sounded a lot more natural, though brighter with a bit of grittyness.

Zaph Audio has an interesting MTM project using the Seas 27TBFCG.
Whereas Parts Express has a DIY kit featuring Reference Series
Drivers including the RS180S-8 7" Woofers and RSRS28A-4.

I'm wondering which project sound better.

Hi,

The ZA BAMTM is a good design. The PE Dr.KMTM has better
bassmid's but is IMO a bit overcomplicated, compare it to :
My RS180 MTM Design

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Kid gonna try and slam it with the corner of a block or stab it with a pencil you think?

I have both types of tweeters on my shelf. I don't think the SEAS DXT grill is stiffer than the RS28, but it is significantly recessed (because of the waveguide of course).

Both grills will at least stop curious fingers from creasing a thin aluminum dome - like when I took my bookshelf speakers to college that had a paper cone tweeter with aluminum dust cap. Some girl thought it would be neat to touch it and it crushed easily when she poked it.

Seas 27TBFCG is a hexagrid grill
Really tough
I'm going to assume Usher is not so tough

Huh? Mine is a screen like black fine steel mesh, I can easily push it with my finger.

Oh - I'm sorry, I thought he was talking about the SEAS Prestige 27TBCD/GB-DXT (Waveguide one).

The reason I though that, is that the DXT is the only one of that line that I would consider using nearly as low as the RS28 is comfortable going. I do also have the 27TBFCG though - I have dented one of my RS28F grills, but not the 27TBFCG one, it is stiffer.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.