Old Radio Shack Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The ones that are named MC-2001 are two way, they have a white 8 inch woofer (from one end of driver to other) and are ported. The back of the driver says
Woofer
2030 7 ohms
45Hz-3KHz
15w nominal
30w music
Japan

Tweeter
0474 8ohms
2KHz-18KHz
7w nominal
15w music
Japan

The Nova-6 (cool name) are 2 way, sealed, 8 inch woofer, the foam surrounds of the drivers are inverted. The tweeter has its own plastic cup arround it, about 2 inches in diameter and 4 deep.
Woofer
2017 8 ohms
40Hz-3KHz
nominal 15w
music 30w
LoEff Japan

Tweeter
0735 8ohms
300Hz-18KHz (yes i typed that right)
nominal 5w
music 10w max
Japan

They both sound pretty good for free speakers, I the ST-70 could be smoothing them out a bit though.

Andrew

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
kneadle said:
While I was searching, I came across an audiophile forum where there was a single post mentioning Nova 8. The post was a "nostalgia" type post, a guy wistfully recalling the days of the Radio Shack Nova series. Apparently, they were decent speakers. He spoke well of them.

RS definitly comes out with a sleeper now & then... someone was telling for instance about some headphones OEMed by Stax :)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nova 6 Front. It isn't totally clear does the woof have an inverted half-roll surround?

Sealed box?

dave

Attachments

• nova-6.jpg
    nova-6.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 429
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nova 6 drivers, got a side shot of the bass driver? What is written on the back? From the basket it looks like a Coral OEM -- looks nice. Note that the tweeter is open back -- that is a good thing.

Room for some mods that will make them sound even better.

dave

Attachments

• nova-6-drivers.jpg
    nova-6-drivers.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 487
planet10 said:
Nova 6 Front. It isn't totally clear does the woof have an inverted half-roll surround?

Sealed box?

dave

Yes, it is inverted, I am pretty sure it is foam.

The box is sealed

planet10 said:
Nova 6 drivers, got a side shot of the bass driver? What is written on the back? From the basket it looks like a Coral OEM -- looks nice. Note that the tweeter is open back -- that is a good thing.

Room for some mods that will make them sound even better.

dave

Can try to get pic of the side tomorrow.
The writing on the back is above in the thread.

planet10 said:
And the other one ... no pics of the back? Bass reflex and a regular half-roll surround (ie the surround sticks out)?

dave

The foam surround sticks out. The back is plain. I will try to get pic of that up too.

Andrew

Not too bad speakers,as you got them free.Normally you get them for about £5-£10 in a car boot sale,that sort of thing.
But hopefully they work well,and don't distort.
As you don't know how good or badly the have been treated,they are are probably best for background music.
Although 15w rms for an 8 inch woofer is weak,and 45hz-3khz for a 8 inch driver is a poor frequency range,when normally 8 inches go up to 8 khz.
Also check to make sure that the foam surround hasn't perished,you can do this pinching the foam with your fingers[gently],and if you feel stickyness,thiness,or it crumbles;you know you've got some damage.
For a cheap make[Radioshack] the magnet size is pretty large.
Hopefully you can unsrew the speakers from the ported box,and see if they are even better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.