Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Troels ATR
Troels ATR
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2008, 02:23 AM   #1
blue934 is offline blue934  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Troels ATR

has anyone had anything to do with this kit? i can find no reviews but would like to hear if anyone thinks it's worth the amazing price. zaph's tests didn't make it sound like a much better choice than the usher 8945p or the scan revelator but maybe listening test will reveal something.
david
Old 7th February 2008, 08:25 AM   #2
dublin78 is offline dublin78  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Can you provide a link please?
Old 7th February 2008, 09:08 AM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

http://jantzen-audio.com/download/AT...d%20Kit_v1.pdf

Hi,

I don't think you'd get a sensible answer from anyone that has bought it.
Undoubtably expensive for what you get compared to high value designs.

/sreten.
Old 7th February 2008, 01:31 PM   #4
sdclc126 is offline sdclc126  United States
diyAudio Member

Being "worth the amazing price" is largely a matter of affordability - if it's comfortable for your budget it may indeed be; if it's a stretch you may want to consider alternatives.

Being of the most-bang-for-the-buck crowd, I'd look at Jay_WJs 8945P designs or perhaps Zaph's ZD5.
Old 9th February 2008, 04:47 PM   #5
blue934 is offline blue934  Canada
diyAudio Member

i agree, softdome. i am preparing to build a set of the 8945's myself. as far as affordability, i don't mind paying more to get more, but nobody can tell me if these drivers actually provide more than an usher or revelator and i don't feel like paying more just because they cost more. i could buy retail to do that. somone mentioned one time that it would be great if a supplier would have a demo program, buy three sets of drivers- build three desings-and send back the two you didn't like. oh to dream!
david
Old 9th February 2008, 04:56 PM   #6
sdclc126 is offline sdclc126  United States
diyAudio Member

I honestly doubt you'll get more - audibly more - go with the Usher design - I think it's about as high end as is available for DIY 2-way.
Old 13th February 2008, 03:20 AM   #7
Ray Collins is offline Ray Collins  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting, I also was considering this design hoping for something close to electrostatics which I no longer have room to accommodate. I had hoped that the ribbons would get me there...naive I suppose.

Ray
Old 13th February 2008, 03:50 AM   #8
ShinOBIWAN is offline ShinOBIWAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

When you get into drivers such as the Revelator, Usher and AT then there's nothing bad about the performance, instead its usually average at worst up to class leading depending on the performance aspect your looking at.

I think what it would come down to more than anything is the work done in the crossover and how good the tonal balance and mating between drivers is. Its easy to isolate the individual units to assess performance but the real test is a run out with the loudspeaker system as a whole so you can see how they present the music and if that agrees with you. I think all competent implementations using any of these drivers would offer something agreeable but with their own unique colourations.

BTW As far as value goes, I don't see much in the way of a clear winner without hearing them first. But since its unlikely you'll get these designs side by side in your listening room then the Usher would be a good safe bet if your value for money conscious.
Old 5th August 2008, 07:41 PM   #9
tf1216 is offline tf1216  United States
diyAudio Member

I hope I am not steering too far off topic with my question.

Reading through the two designs by Troels (ATR25) and John's (ZRT 2.5-way) there are similarities and differences that stand out.

Their crossover topologies are similar but Troels decided to go with a TL cabinet and John chose dual ports. Can someone please outline the pros and cons of each approach?

Immediately, I would prefer the TL arrangement. It seems John always has the end user in mind and realizes adding ports to pre-made cabinets is easier than modifying the inside.

To get the optimum bass extension from the ZRT 2.5-way design the builder would need to build their own cabinet. Would you guys suggest building a TL cabinet (if one wanted to redesign from ground up) or is there little to gain with the TL addition?

Lastly, John's measurements always look great! Could someone please explain differences in measurement methodology between John and Troels that might explain why Troels FR for his ATR25 has more ripple?

Thank you

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ATR-TL.htm
http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZRT.html
Old 6th August 2008, 02:00 PM   #10
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

Hi,

The short answer regarding TL's and vented :

An optimised TL is usually bigger than a vented cabinet.
TL's can have ripple and extend deeper then vented.
Given that vented can be tuned low for overdamped.
TL's damped to reduce ripple can end up with less bass.

Most designs can be TL'd or MLTL'd if you are so inclined.
It is a trivial task to build the ATR 2.5 way in a vented box.

Box type choice is not inherent in most designs.
Vented, sealed, TL are all possible.

What sort of TL complicates the ZRT 2.5way question.
see : http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Alignment_Tables.pdf

/sreten.

Troels ATRHide this!Advertise here!