My SEAS MCA15RCY OB 3ways....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thew this 3 way OB setup together last night & after successfully using this simple OB way before I x'ed my fingers & fired it up. The results exceeded all expectations this time. No peak, piercing,shouting, or any percieved problem with the little SEAS driver. I am only using a .64 coil on 12" FR driver & a single 5uf cap on the MCA15RCY. Dual subs set @ about 60hz I think. 300B PP amp w/ type 10 DHT pre leading the way. smooth & detailed. None of that annoying peakyness that many, many driver have in OB have. Low bass & mid bass is extremelly detailed as it should be. Not the bring the house down dynamic setup, but for small to average room size this is superb IMO. My planars were scooted away to storage as these beat them with ease in natural tone without thinness & no fatigue. I am not running for a tweeter also , even though I am sure I will try to bring one in, but I don't feel compelled to do it at all. I am of 40+ years so upper range hearing is not what it was anyway. IMO this little SEAS driver is well worth looking into @ 58.00 a pop. If you implement the driver on small baffle on top of a 12" FR driver of good quality you will get outstanding imaging & stage, but the little SEAS must be on a small baffle to get this outstading image & stage. I am also using the 4ohm taps on my amp.

JandG said:
I thew this 3 way OB setup together last night & after successfully using this simple OB way before I x'ed my fingers & fired it up. The results exceeded all expectations this time. No peak, piercing,shouting, or any percieved problem with the little SEAS driver. I am only using a .64 coil on 12" FR driver & a single 5uf cap on the MCA15RCY. Dual subs set @ about 60hz I think. 300B PP amp w/ type 10 DHT pre leading the way. smooth & detailed. None of that annoying peakyness that many, many driver have in OB have. Low bass & mid bass is extremelly detailed as it should be. Not the bring the house down dynamic setup, but for small to average room size this is superb IMO. My planars were scooted away to storage as these beat them with ease in natural tone without thinness & no fatigue. I am not running for a tweeter also , even though I am sure I will try to bring one in, but I don't feel compelled to do it at all. I am of 40+ years so upper range hearing is not what it was anyway. IMO this little SEAS driver is well worth looking into @ 58.00 a pop. If you implement the driver on small baffle on top of a 12" FR driver of good quality you will get outstanding imaging & stage, but the little SEAS must be on a small baffle to get this outstading image & stage. I am also using the 4ohm taps on my amp.

looks good, maybe you may like try using MTM configuration using the 2 SEAS drivers you have and a B&C comp (only $60 for the combo)driver for one channel first to try out first. You will find sound is very different, bigger sound stage and far more dynamic.

not very large investment if you want to experiment.

cheers.

I indeed will try those very B & C comp drivers, maybe on a dedicated amp though I am sure I will try L-pad & or resistor padding. I am fairly sure I can get the last octive with SEAS soft dome easy enough. But will also try the B & C CD. This is ment for peoples in small to average rooms that want the OB magic without tipy, screachy, painfull spike's in upper mids. This is a well behaved driver in OB & smooth in a good way,..something for some to look at doing 2-3- or 4 way OB IMO.

JandG said:
I indeed will try those very B & C comp drivers, maybe on a dedicated amp though I am sure I will try L-pad & or resistor padding. I am fairly sure I can get the last octive with SEAS soft dome easy enough. But will also try the B & C CD. This is ment for peoples in small to average rooms that want the OB magic without tipy, screachy, painfull spike's in upper mids. This is a well behaved driver in OB & smooth in a good way,..something for some to look at doing 2-3- or 4 way OB IMO.

B&C comp driver(CD) is very smooth even when new! you find Magnetar has the same opinion, see his comments at PE.

CD is smooth as long as you use non-titanium diaphram/membrane. B&C DE10 uses mylar membrane. once you use a good CD you don't want use a dome tweeter!.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.