tri-amped driver choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I'm looking for advice on driver selection for a gainclone amp under construction.

The basic configuration is a tri-amped stereo design with 100w bass, 50w mid, 50w tweeter with 3/way active crossover and utilizing lm3886 ic's for output stages. The amp is designed for 8 ohm load, but with paralleled chips on the woofer (thus requiring 4ohm load).

Does anyone have suggestions or criticism on the configuration? Is the balance in output power between woofer mids and tweeters ok?

Have selected your drivers yet?? Hard to say if your power is "right". That depends on which drivers and what SPL's you want from them. Also your crossover point will help determine how much power a driver needs as well. I run a 3 way active set-up with 200/100/100. I have 3db more amp headroom but depending on driver sensitivities if you had more efficient drivers you could actually have more headroom than my set-up using 1 watt 1 meter as a reference.

My woofer in this set-up is on the low side at 89-90db. So I can expect to get 110 max out on peaks minus say 6db for distance so 104db where I sit.

Look at it this way more power isn't going to get you in trouble but underpowering will if it less than you need to meet your SPL requirements.

Rob:)

IMHO you're putting the cart before the horse - it sounds like you're trying to design a speaker around an amplifier/crossover set-up, when you should be designing the speaker first, and then designing the electronics around what you want the speaker to do.

sdclc126 said:
IMHO you're putting the cart before the horse - it sounds like you're trying to design a speaker around an amplifier/crossover set-up, when you should be designing the speaker first, and then designing the electronics around what you want the speaker to do.
Enormous +1, though I do factor in amp power and output Z when I design the speakers.

Also your crossover point will help determine how much power a driver needs as well. I run a 3 way active set-up with 200/100/100. I have 3db more amp headroom but depending on driver sensitivities if you had more efficient drivers you could actually have more headroom than my set-up using 1 watt 1 meter as a reference.

Rob:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.