RCF L8S800 8" speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.rcfaudio.com/vediMacro.phtml/sLang/EN/IDMacro/1638/menuAttivo/2293/m1/1/m2/0/m3/1_0_13/LowFrequencyWoofer/WooferL8S800/product.htm

So I bought 4 of these lovely little speakers ay a very good price, BUT there is more to building a cabinet than I thought after reading some stuff on this site !!!!

I'd Like to build a small bass guitar speaker using 1 or 2 and maybe 2 stage monitors as the ones I'm using now are so very heavy.

I play in a three piece club band with a 300W Bose speakered PA and its never that loud.

Any good ideas - I can build in wood Ok unless it is madly difficult.

Here's hoping

Bruce Boogie

www.boogiebopboys.co.uk

Hi Bruce Boogie!

Have you already built your cabinets? I'd like to know your feelings about those speakers.

I currently have 8PS21 matched with ND1411 and the sound is pretty good but I'm considering the possibility of getting the L8S800 for more linearity and softness in the high-mids.

MRod

Hi guys!

Thanks for the links.

BTHX, the woofer you suggest looks quite interesting but if I change mine, I'll take another 8".

Fosti, yours looks much more interesting. That gives me an idea but I still have no information about the sound quality of this woofer. They don't talk much about it in the french forums.

It's for a home use in stereo mode +sub. I feel a little lack of smoothness above 3 Khz with my 8PS21 and I wonder whether it's due to the woofer or the crossover (1rst order low pass at 3.5Khz).

I've got two possibilities:either I keep the 8PS21 and I change the crossover (it would be a 2nd order low pass at 3Khz since the woofer isn't supposed to go beyond this frequency) or I keep the crossover and I take the L8S800 that seems to have a more extended and linear frequency range.

MRod

BTHX, the woofer you suggest looks quite interesting but if I change mine, I'll take another 8".

It is not a suggestion of his actually but where YOUR link above points to (it did at least when I used it).

I have seen this 8" years ago already and I was also interested for bass-guitar usage. Because info was quite scarce back then I used something else. But they seem to be very nice drivers.

Regards

Charles

MRod said:

phase_accurate said:
It is not a suggestion of his actually but where YOUR link above points to (it did at least when I used it).

..Exactly. Sorry about that. I was looking at the link when I posted that, rather than the thread title. So, let's try this again..

http://www.prodance.cz/protokoly/rcf_l8s800.pdf

Not the cleanest pro sound 8" I've ever seen. For an 8, it's a bit dirty all over, the ringing around 1khz, the dip just above 1khz, just not the smoothest. And eventhough it's far from the most sensitive 8" around, you're still not gonna get any bass out of it, so keep that in mind. Aside from beaming, I wouldn't cross this one any higher than about 2KHz LR4 at the absolute most, preferably lower.

http://www.rcfaudio.com/VediMacro.phtml/IDMacro/1638/L8S800/

Hi,

The above is the driver under discussion ? not the linked to 12" ?

Interesting driver, good xmax, but Fs is higher than a typical hifi driver.
Vented you want the port frequency to be = low E = ~ 40Hz.

The extended shelf alignment is moreorless 1cuft and this is rather
large for an 8" driver, possibly a compromise here. Any box larger
than Vas is usually not a good idea.
I'd go sealed for the monitors possibly, 5L to 10L stuffed.

:)/sreten.

Attachments

• guff.jpg
    guff.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 478
Hi!

Thanks for all your answers.

BTHX, if I rely on what you say, the L8S00 isn't much better than my current woofer. I'm satisfied with it except what I told you above. Maybe mine just needs a lower cut off too? B&C suggests a 2.5Khz crossover for its box 8...

Besides, I don't want any sealed cab...

Fosti, I really liked what I saw in your link but I can't read deutch (or whatever it is) and I can't find the tweeter reference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.