Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Sansui SP-5000
Sansui SP-5000
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Kensai is offline Kensai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Kensai
Default Sansui SP-5000

I've been given a pair from 1971, in their original packaging, including manuals. All the drivers seem mechanically sound, and they play with no audible artifacts. The cabinets have very minor cosmetic flaws but look phenomenal for being 37 years old. The things have 1x15", 2x6.5", 2x4" and 2x compression horn tweeter. The magnets on the 15"ers and 4"ers are obviously old school AlNiCo assemblies, and I'm guessing the 6.5"ers are the same, though they have an integral back chamber attached that I haven't bothered to breach.

Here's the only halfway decent link I've found referring to them:

Sansui SP-5000

Anyone have any idea what, if anything, they might be worth? They were apparently Sansui's flagship models when they were purchased, and not cheap even then. Just the crossovers (which are quite complex) appear to contain $100-$150 worth of components if they were bought new today. They have way to big of a foot print for me to hold onto forever, and I'm really more of a fullrange guy (7 drivers per side and a huge crossover really isn't my cup of tea), and since there's so little info to be googled on them right now, I'm hoping to figure out the most advantageous way to give them a new home.

Kensai
Old 15th January 2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Kensai is offline Kensai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Kensai
Nothing? Just wondering if anyone knows if any of the drivers in these things are of any particular value, as I might be interested in scrapping the things for parts if I can build something interesting from them. Otherwise I might just sell them whole and use the money to acquire other drivers to fit my need, at which point I'm wondering approximately how much these might be worth out on the market and where you might suggest I go about doing such a thing (the Marketplace here, audiogon, etc.).

Kensai
Old 9th February 2008, 12:44 PM   #3
mavallarino is offline mavallarino  United States
diyAudio Member

I could be interested in one pair the woofers and maybe one pair of the tweeters if it were possible to find some information...

I will look as well.

Greetings,MV
Old 9th February 2008, 01:52 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Try this apparently defunct forum for info and/or folks to email: http://www.sansui.us/BBS_General/wwwboard.shtml

GM
Old 6th June 2012, 09:20 PM   #5
dcsleeper is offline dcsleeper
diyAudio Member

Sell them. Do not take them apart. They are worth a pile. Like $500.
I know this is a 4 year old thread....

Sansui SP-5000Hide this!Advertise here!