Seas Bifrost

The paint job is not as nice on the whole speaker as it looks. It is far from perfect. But I'm going to rectify this in the near future. There are no cracks in the paint but is also the first speaker project that I made.
Painting was done by use of spray paint cans. (I don't know how they are called in english, it is not my mother tongue)
Duplicolor is the brand I used, wich is a lot easier to use than other brands.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regards,

Tim

SpikyTim can you discribe the bass of your speakers
because i am afraid it is not quet good

The sound from CNO is very clean, relaxing and extremely dynamic. Compared to Proac 2.5 and TJL2 with CNO the music breath. Every instrument has more air around it. Even some old Blue note compilations sound very good. Maybe there is a little more lifted presence, but I never find it disturbed or unpleasant. T29CF001 is one of the best I have ever heard. It reminds me of some magnetostatic tweeters. Clean, relaxed and forget about siblings sssshhh here. It is quite powerful too.Only the bass is quite shy for now...probably it needs few hours of suspension massage more to sound more full. I listen quite loud to some brass / trumpet / Chesky music samples without any harshness or discomfort. The female voices are incredible... For now I can only say with CNO you really did the great 2 way project...:)

this is report from andrej that constracted http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/CNO.htm

For me the bass is more than sufficient. First i was thinking to use a subwoofer set up but this is not really necessarry for listening to music. It will also depend on your room acoustics.
I'm enjoying this system a lot. And will soon build a monitor version for a friend with a different tweeter. I will also try to develop a crossover myself.

regards,

Hey guys!
I'm impressed by the Seas Bifrost.
First of all I like how it sounds based on several YT videos. Also, I like how it looks.
Do you think it's a good idea to spend ~1300 Euro to build it in 2021? Or do we have anything better in this budget (around 1000 Euro would be better!)?
Thanks!

To spend 1,300 € on a kit like that is a decision entirely up to a buyer. If you desire such drive units, perhaps yes. I was interested to simulate this setup because manufacturer has provided the raw measurements for the very purpose and I have noticed the design could be further improved, although hard to predict whether that would be perceived in the same manner. But they should have really made the driver positioning on the baffle a little more appealing considering how premium these products are after all.

The Seas Bifrost is a classic high end speaker and the quality of drivers and design is somehow always able to stand out. At least the reviews I have seen mostly attest a undeniable quality that is hearable after just a few notes.

Below is a link to a YouTube video with a comparison to Zaph's SR 71, and if you ask me, the Bifrost is way ahead :) :

YouTube: BIFROST VS. SR71

Of course, nowadays it should also be possible to build a top speaker using Satori drivers for the same amount of money.

The Seas Bifrost is a classic high end speaker and the quality of drivers and design is somehow always able to stand out. At least the reviews I have seen mostly attest a undeniable quality that is hearable after just a few notes.

Below is a link to a YouTube video with a comparison to Zaph's SR 71, and if you ask me, the Bifrost is way ahead :) :

YouTube: BIFROST VS. SR71

Of course, nowadays it should also be possible to build a top speaker using Satori drivers for the same amount of money.
Yeah, totally agree the Bifrost vs SR71 video! What about the Satori speakers which you mentioned? What would you prefer - them or Bifrost?
Thanks!

To spend 1,300 € on a kit like that is a decision entirely up to a buyer. If you desire such drive units, perhaps yes. I was interested to simulate this setup because manufacturer has provided the raw measurements for the very purpose and I have noticed the design could be further improved, although hard to predict whether that would be perceived in the same manner. But they should have really made the driver positioning on the baffle a little more appealing considering how premium these products are after all.

Yeah, it's up to me, sure. But maybe you know that some Visaton (just an example. curious how good they are) diy kit with 1k Euro price will beat the 1.3k Bifrost. The Bifrost price was 400-500 Euro higher than my previous maximum price level. And my girlfriend is gonna kill me. But I can buy speaker by speaker for months and buy it if it worth it.
Thanks!

Hmm. Bifrost certainly has excellent drivers, and it's been around for some time. I haven't time to look at youtube videos, but assuming the comparison to the SR71 was done in identical conditions, in fairness one would hope it would be superior given that John was using high quality units from the Prestige range for SR71 rather than the top model soft dome Crescendo and coated paper cone from the Excel range used in Bifrost. And if you like the sound of it -great. :)

However (however). Looking at the published FR plot on the Seas site, I see Bifrost has a response elevated by about +1.5dB from the nominal over approximately the 2 octaves 600Hz - 2.4KHz. That is going to be audible, and make vocals in particular appear somewhat more 'projective' / 'forward' / 'detailed' (call it what you like). This has nothing to do with the driver quality, but simply the FR characteristic, which is maintained a good way off-axis according to the Seas response data. So if it seems more impressive to listen to than SR71, especially across this region, then at least in part it's likely because of that slightly elevated output through this band. John avoids that without excessive complexity in the filter by crossing about 450Hz lower, and getting a flatter response trend through this BW, where human hearing is particularly sensitive to amplitude variation.

None of which is to say the Bifrost is anything other than a good speaker, and those drivers are excellent, but it's worth looking at the design details, especially when comparisons are made, to see what is going on.

Last edited: