Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Best horn/compression drivers for music?
Best horn/compression drivers for music?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2008, 08:19 PM   #51
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnetar
The two inch exit 320 is close but doesn't go as low - The 320 Emilar treble is better than the TADs, so is the mids (very close).
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Interesting Mike. I have a single EC320 with a new diaphram and MH500 radial flare that I bought a few years ago for some reason or another. I have a line on another single pair the same, but needs a disphram (I know where I can get one). Might have to try them now. How low would you use the EC320?

Cheers
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:34 PM   #52
Tim Moorman is offline Tim Moorman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Another Option

Magnetar,

Always wanted to hear that one, and those monster EC600s!

Daveis,

I like the Community M200 midrange. Mylar diaphragm, shallow profile, and, in my opinion, slightly smoother than the JBL 2440 within its bandwidth - 400Hz to 3500Hz.

The exit geometry/flare rate for the JBL 2440 and TAD 2001 are similar, in that both have deeply recessed diaphragms, I suppose due to the low resonance (the 2001 ~ 340 Hz) and magnet/motor design.

When measured a few years ago, the Radian 475 didn't measure as well as the 2001, with a couple of extra peaks in the response, but were fairly close.

I included the Altec MR901 1" as a comparo. Also relatively shallow.

I do believe that with better materials and simulation tools now available, the choices offered by BMS, B&C, and Radian, among others, will all sound very good on the right horn, and contoured/EQ'd as needed.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drivers.jpg (44.3 KB, 749 views)
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:56 PM   #53
Tim Moorman is offline Tim Moorman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default another view

Reversed:

1" Altec MR901... 2" JBL2440... 1" TAD 2001... 2"Community M200 on 90 x40 horn

All sound decent to very good on the right horn.

I would look at the Beyma 1" drivers, and the JBL 2435 looks to be a winner in the 1.5" exit category.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drivers2.jpg (37.1 KB, 764 views)
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:36 PM   #54
Magnetar is offline Magnetar  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett

Cheers
Bret, the biggest horn I have used them with is a 360 flare tractrix. They only load (usable) down to 650 or so. I don't think they'd do much better in a bigger better loading horn. Just picked a new pair of One Plus Engineering 320C's - I am going to use them with my PAS CX2580C fifteen inch coax with the large format horn built in. The PAS are warming up right now in 24" spherical enclosures, they are very good. So far I like them better than all the other coax's (I have a wall of them!) in the midrange. The top end rolls off nicely with lno peaks. With the PAS and the 320's I might have to build a new reference.
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:52 PM   #55
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Bret, the biggest horn I have used them with is a 360 flare tractrix. They only load (usable) down to 650 or so. I don't think they'd do much better in a bigger better loading horn.
Thanks Mike. I have a trax design that does 150-700 very well so these above may work
Quote:
Just picked a new pair of One Plus Engineering 320C's - I am going to use them with my PAS CX2580C fifteen inch coax with the large format horn built in. The PAS are warming up right now in 24" spherical enclosures, they are very good. So far I like them better than all the other coax's (I have a wall of them!) in the midrange. The top end rolls off nicely with lno peaks. With the PAS and the 320's I might have to build a new reference.
I missed out on those ebay ones yesteday, and was hoping they'd work well with the BMS coax CD's for a nice triax. Maybe another pair will come up.

Because of space limitations at the moment, I'm actually using my KHorn bass bins, but want to keep them to 60-200 where they don't sound too bad, so am looking for solutions to work above them that'll still sound good in the near field.
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:16 PM   #56
Magnetar is offline Magnetar  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Thanks Mike. I have a trax design that does 150-700 very well so these above may work
I missed out on those ebay ones yesteday, and was hoping they'd work well with the BMS coax CD's for a nice triax. Maybe another pair will come up.

Because of space limitations at the moment, I'm actually using my KHorn bass bins, but want to keep them to 60-200 where they don't sound too bad, so am looking for solutions to work above them that'll still sound good in the near field.

Email the fellow, he has a lot of them.. NICE driver for 75 US each

PAS has the blue foam horn end terminators for them too - 17.00 from the factory

These are sounding good in the spheres. I'm thinking of lugging my Klams in to use below them ----- It should be shocking - I miss the Klam punching shock wave with the OB system
Old 4th January 2008, 01:22 AM   #57
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 18 Sound info

Scott,
Here is FR for the 18Sound 2" drivers on a 2064 horn...
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

2060 (titanium) distortion...

2060A (aluminum/mylar)

2080 (titanium)

2080N (titanium nitride)

It's interesting (at least to me) how the aluminum dome & mylar surround has lower distortion down low while the titanium variants have lower distortion on the top end. These are the first actual measurements I've seen corresponding with the subjective observations of "smoother midrange" reported for aluminum domes with plastic surrounds.
Paul
Old 4th January 2008, 01:41 AM   #58
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

PaulW, what SPL was that measurement done at?
Old 4th January 2008, 02:29 AM   #59
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Mon Graci!

It is an interesting comparison. I would have thought the alu. would have been worse at any given freq.. Seems if you need a usable lower end response to stay away from titanium. I also would have liked to have seen the higher "orders" - could be some real problems with that (with some IM distortion just waiting to be given enough bandwidth to strut its stuff). This all suggests to me that such drivers should not only be crossed sufficiently above their horns "cut-off" (..and/or with steep filters), but perhaps more importantly that the horn should NOT load the driver at its lowest freq. where its running into problems, rather let the freq. response drop-off into the abyss. (..I was aware of the former, but completely unaware of the latter.)

The other thing that "jumps out at me" here is the "structure" of the 2nd order distortion. It almost seems as if the alu. version has been "smoothed/averaged" when compared to the titaniums. Makes me wonder if the various drivers have complementary linear decay properties?
Old 4th January 2008, 03:13 AM   #60
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daveis
PaulW, what SPL was that measurement done at?
I guess I could have assumed about 110-115 db like the first graph?

What would the graphs look like at 85-90db? That's where I usually listen to music.

Best horn/compression drivers for music?Hide this!Advertise here!