How to install a sub in my current car system?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes.. I am using a Y splitter from my pre out.

I went to the shop today and they told me that I should think about changing my front mids to a 6" instead of my present 3.5" to improve the bass response..

Will that work? I think the subwoofer would be better.... what do you think?

GO WITH THE 6"!!!

A subwoofer in your car will give you that classic one-tone bass that everyone hates. Moving to 6" speakers will allow your frequency response to go down much lower; probably to below 100 hz, which is low enough for most people. Then, if you still want more thump, you can add a sub that's crossed over lower, and it will sound _A LOT_ better than if you used 3" satellites with one trunk-mounted sub. :)

Ok. here goes.

Front
3.5" mids EKO
tweeters PowerAcoustik

Rear
6x9" full range Sony

Amp
JBL LCA304 4 channel amp

I kinda agree with getting a 6" front... at least get a good quality set.

thanks a million guys. AND yes I hope not to get too much bass...
thought of getting those cylinder shaped ones...

Hmm...

Keep in mind that a lot of car audio products are aimed at the very dumb Teeming Masses of car drivers, and many of them are good at making lots and lots of very bad sound, or just for looking cool. Don't buy those!

(Certainly a good system will look good too... there are a number of 6x9 speakers out there with really shiny blue poly cones, and I find those sound very good...)

I'd reccomend, given that, simply adding a subwoofer that's crossed over just a little bit above the lowest frequency response of your back speakers. While this could cause greatly disproportionate bass directionality (all the bass coming from the back of the car) I don't see how you could get the sub closer to the front, unless you never have passengers. :) If this does turn out to be a problem, you can probably just add larger front speakers (try to match them to your back 6x9's) and it will be fine...

I'm interested in finding out what you do... the stereo in my family car is really lacking and I'd like to do something with it. :)

Make sure you POST PICTURES! :)

ok. I have repositioned my amplifier to be under the passenger seat.

Other things I have done
1. Upgraded the power cord.
2. Upgraded the speaker cable going into the 2 way crossover.

Result : Meatier bass! More definition now.

I have done some shopping too for 6" component systems. I am slightly torn between SAS and Rodek.

Both cost about the same... around Singapore Dollars $380.

I am tempted to go for Mohawks though... said to be lower range Kickers.... any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.