help with front loaded horn designs -please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi There, I have four cerwin-vega 800watt (rms) subs that Im wanting to build up enclosures for, im wanting to build up folded horn enclosures for these,. Ive only managed to find one design on the internet and its designed for 15" drivers. can somebody please take a look at the below URL and see if you think these dimensions would also be suitable for use with 12" drivers also, or possibly recommend a design suitable for the 12's.

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/pa/2X15-folded.cfm

ive done alot of box design before but never folded horn so im really stuck here any help would be greatly apprichatited.

thanks.

Ryan

I don't know many horn loaded designs that use 12 inch drivers,except those for upper midrange.

www.speakerplans.com
has two 12 inch front horn designs,one a mid/top box with horn loaded 12 inch mids and compression tweeters,and the other design is a horn loaded midrange only cabinet.

I've got an amazing book by Eminence called;

'high power loudspeaker enclosure design and construction'

published by Adam Hall ISBN 0-9518252-1-6

This book covers every different type of enclosure in great detail[but using Eminence drivers]

But as your using Cerwin Vega drivers another good book is;

'Loudspeakers for Musicians' by Vivian Capel
ISBN 0-85934-242-5

If you can't get hold of either of these books,also try www.speakerplans.com and if this doesn't help you try posting a message on www.live-audio.com and www.pispeakers.com

Thanks,Bull

ch

thanks for your reply, ive seen quite a few books and sites around the place as well, but none deal with 12" designs,. I would build some 15" or 18" horns up except I already have four brand new 12's left over from another project, and dont really need the power of 4 x 15's as its just for around the home, we use an EV setup when out and about DJing.

thanks again for your reply.

I remember two bass-bins by EV that were using 2x12". One was called the "Jumbo Bass box" and the other one was called "Sentry". Maybe you can find plans on these ones.
Unfortunately I don't remember the model number of the Sentry one which is important since this name was also used for some HiFi speakers and studio monitors by EV.

Regards

Charles

If you found plan for the SENTRY IV...please let me know!!

Attachments

• sentry samll.jpg
    sentry samll.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 678
Bass Horn

The LAB horn is driven by a pair of custom 12" drivers built by Eminence. The plans are posted in the Live Audio Board's archive under "subwoofer project".

If you can get the TS parameters for your drivers, you could use Horn Response to come up with a suitable design using a single 12", though this might take some time to get familiar with the program.

Just to give you an idea, here a CV design for a 15". The rear chamber would have to be re- sized for the 12", and the throat to mouth ratio redone, but it is probaby similar to what you would end up with.

http://www.unrec.com/sunsonic/l36.gif

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.