Anyone tested 'Etone' woofers for OB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I was intrigued by this OB thread: (thanks Pano!)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110583
but the Seas 830669 here is kinda pricey, and possible substitutes, the Selenium 15PW3 and 18WS600 cost too much to import from Brazil. I'm talking low cost here...haha

I'm wondering if anyone has response plots for these drivers (made in Au?) please?
http://www.etonesound.com/bass_drivers.htm#1225
http://www.etonesound.com/bass_drivers.htm#1525 thanks, grant
(Andy-G gave me the Etone link...thanks!)

Hi Pete,
Wow! The HP-15W specs look great and they are affordable! I downloaded the full specs here:

http://www.paacoustic.com/Product_Detail.asp?CatalogID=0113&ProductID=HP-15W

Hmm, so now I'm really interested to see if a 'Manzanita' type clone is possible with the HP-15W and SeAs 27TDFC. Many thanks to Panomaniac for posting such a detailed description.

Pete, thanks for your comments on Fs and Qts... I'm still very much a beginner but I downloaded an OB thread from another forum ..Audiocircle , I think (but possibly HT-Guide?) which 'prescribes'
correct T/S parameters for OB, but its 17 pages so I need to read it asap!

Interestingly, I had enquired at Cannon, re Selenium 15PW3 or 18ws600 alternatives but no reply as yet from Daniel, then your HP-15W post from same supplier....'spooky', haha. Is there a HP-18W? lol grant

I'm not sure re Etone any more. 20 years ago I would have used them but there are other alternative that are probably as good or better for the money now. For this application, the Eminence or PAudio would be my first try (I'm actually going with Em's). A or B15's with a nice cast frame like new B&C's would be nice.

Thanks for all your replies guys!
Please note that I know absolutely nothing about OB design issues, except for a few 'catch-phrases'!

I have now learnt (I think, lol) that that the complexity of 3-ways might not be essential for good cheap sound and that the midrange may even be dispensed with! The 'Manzanita' concept is great!

OK,.. I'm assuming a U-frame OB with 15" woofer and tweeter crossed low. Ideal woofer Qts is still a mystery, but if its too low, then maybe a series resistor or higher DCR coil, might work? Who knows
for sure? I guess I'll have to try to sim all this stuff, if I ever buy XL.

PeteMck... The HP-15W seems great to me! Any clues on the best tweeter to use with it?

Andy_G... Thanks mate! The Celestion ones seem quite pricey , the HP-15W is much cheaper at Cannon sound? The Eminence are very good I believe , but even more exxy! The Visaton BGS 40
Qts 0.31 may be ok??? but @ $225 AU ...whoa!
I'll need to look at the Dai-Chai 15" (have link please?) . Yes I looked at 830670../1 briefly...$'s?

G'Day Brett and thanks. I looked at the Eminence Alpha 15 but its response looked like it needed a 12dB/Oct filter to flatten the peak from memory. Its encouraging that you support PeteMcK's PAAudio suggestion, presumably the HP-15W. i've got lots of reading to do!
I guess if it doesn't work, I could put the woofer in a sealed box?

grantnsw said:
Its encouraging that you support PeteMcK's PAAudio suggestion, presumably the HP-15W. i've got lots of reading to do!
I guess if it doesn't work, I could put the woofer in a sealed box?
I haven't used or measured that driver, so it's only a possibility suggestion. I have used several others and they vary from quite good to meh.

Hi All, and thanks,
some beginner musings on OB....

I read in the Eminence site that OB drivers Qts should be > 0.7 but the Manzanita's SLS830669 Qts is 0.43. The HP-15W Qts is 0.49 so maybe it is usable as PeteMcK suggested. Thanks Pete! Anyway I traced a couple of these: Red is HP15W, Black is 15PW3 and the others from other sites are SLS830669 and 27TDFC.

So, if I lose 10dB due to OB on the HP-15W , then maybe its ok for a 2way with the 27TDFC assuming all the T/S params and FR graph may be 'managed' by the crossover/ baffle placements etc?

Andy, thanks, but thats a 16mB download from Wagner Chapter 6 for the Dai-Chi, lol. I'll try to schedule it for my very slow dial-up! haha The specs seem good tho! Thanks!

Brett, thanks for your input, as you can see I'm kinda lost OB-wise, but I believe it can be done. Would you care to share some of your experience with OB please?

Attachments

• hp15w-15pw3-sls830669-27tdfc.jpg
    hp15w-15pw3-sls830669-27tdfc.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 509
Hi,
I know this might seem really dumb, because I've learnt that 15inch woofers start 'beaming' at around 1kHz, so the concept of a 2way with that size woofer is ridiculous...it would leave a crossover 'hole' the size of the Grand Canyon... or would it? I plead ignorance here...haha.
The Manzanita has been done with a 12 inch Peerless, so why not a different 15" woofer? Hmm, any comments please?

Andy,
Russell very kindly gave me the specs for the DaiChi 15" - looks good for OB? thanks, grant

Attachments

• is15-muckabout.jpg
    is15-muckabout.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 456
I have been searching for cheap large PA woofers for ages to finally build a speaker using the eighteensound 10" midranges lying in my bedroom for 3 years.

Sadly the best option afaik is the hp-15w.

US citizens have it very good, e.g. Pyle PPA18 18" woofer for only $50-60US.

Andy Graddon what brand is that driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.