10"woofer Recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sdaudio2 said:
Hi guys...I am trying to find a suitable woofer driver to match sensitivuty and sound wise with my Electrovoice "Force" 10" midrange...open to all suggestions...Dave
You're probably not going to find anything else that will plug and play into the same xover and enclosure.

If it's a scratch build or a mod job, some more details of what you want would be nice. To me a 10" is a midrange.

I want to find a suitable 10 or 11" driver to match with my force driver per channel...a friend of mine who's system I admire has already done this and was hoping to do the same thing...instead of using 10" drivers he is using the Force 15"....Force 10" specs: 98 db eff,qts .38,fs 65 hz,8 ohm imp....thanx in advance...Dave

Peavey 18" Low Rider is very comparable with these woofers, if not better in many respects, and of course, perhaps not quite as good in others. Might not extend quite as low as something like the 18LX60 either, but it's not far off either, and certainly A LOT better than most in its category. All this for a MUCH cheaper price. And if modifying drivers like this is your thing, well then that'd just make it that much more of a capable driver for money well spent.

BHTX said:
Peavey 18" Low Rider is very comparable with these woofers, if not better in many respects, and of course, perhaps not quite as good in others. Might not extend quite as low as something like the 18LX60 either, but it's not far off either, and certainly A LOT better than most in its category. All this for a MUCH cheaper price
In the US perhaps. I can get the Beyma's for a better price here, and I suspect Europe may be similar.
I like Peavey geat a lot; 4 basses (+another soone) and a geetar.

I am using modded pp tube amps(EL34's) to drive what I have and need something that will work...will 10' or 12"doubled Beymas do the trick?To clarify what my buddy's system is using per side: doubled 15" Audiosphere Research below 27 hz,single Force 15" full range (no crossover),an Altec 5" full range(OB), and a Foster ribbon tweeter...he integrated all of this by ear and had em tested to be flat +or- 1/2db...everyone who hears em cant hear the cross over points....but the cabs they are in are just huge!He says it takes 4 guys just to lift one of em.This is why I want to build a smaller version of these...the 10"force driver uses the same motor as his 15's ...he is using a variable shelving circuit and has a way of adjusting the damping to tighten up the sound to better match to his other drivers...

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
What are the specs fore your EV force 10 ... is it a 95db midbass driver or a pure 100db midrange :confused:

If around 95db you can use it down to around 100hz and double 12" hifi woofers may be possible ... there may be a problem with low impedanse, which your tubeamp wont like
Better go for a single 15-18"

If its a 100db genuine mid driver its more difficult

I thank you for your contributions but am still looking for suggestions in the 10" or 12" range as using 15" drivers would facilitate a much larger cabinet than I am willing to accomodate in my apartment...I took a look at the specs on Beyma SM115n/k and found it on sale at US Speakers for $149(price still good until Nov30th)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.