Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Thanks to all who posted in this thread. I actually started following it years ago - purchased the materials, life happened, and they sat in a box. I now have some more time, and all of the materials for just ONE speaker. Does this setup work at all with just a single speaker, or is it entirely designed around two? Im sure this is a stupid question and answered previously, but I promise - I did try searching!

Single Manzanita

Yes, one speaker will work as a mono source, however, The design is intended to be used as a stereo pair. Used as a mono system, imaging of course is not going to happen. And you will have a fairly limited acoustic and dynamic output. Tonal balance and other speaker trates will remain pretty much the same. I am assuming you will combine both left and right channel (stereo) signal sources prior to the the single channel power amp you will be using to drive your single Manzanita. J

I read through this tread and become very interested in an OB design. Unfortunately I could never convince my other half for such big design.

Are there proven OB designs which are around 12"wide? maybe 2X10"woofer. Hight can be around 40". If the stay thin around 2"-4" would be perfect.

If someone can point me towards such designs...I can start thinking about the negotiation :)

Unfortunately I could never convince my other half for such big design.
You could make the baffle narrower.
I have a 36cm baffle for the 830669 without wings and it works quite well.
I don´t even boost the bass at the moment. (minidsp)
Can´t advise on going even narrower.

2x10" should work quite well.
The Visaton WS25E is an interesting open baffle woofer although even with 2pcs. it will be SPL limited. In exchange it provides deep response due to its high Qts.
Here´s an example:
Open Baffle Speakers by Irkiosan
There are even narrower designs out there:
NoBox 170 | Visaton
NaO

But you will need distance from the wall which, in some rooms, makes WAF even worse.
In my living room it looks actually more "lean" than a speaker with enclosure which has more depth obviously.

So, after lurking, reading, buying for, and finally building, I have my set of Vifa/GRS Ultras done. I still will probably play with the XOs a little, and maybe add deeper wings in the lower half, but they have exceeded my expectations!

I will also work in some resonance control, as I thing the baffles and even the woofer baskets ring... Have to work on placement, too.

Here are some pics for your enjoyment! Thanks to John, Pano, and all others that keep this thread alive!

IMG_20210926_135855.jpg IMG_20210926_143605.jpg IMG_20211110_100159.jpg IMG_20211117_131315.jpg IMG_20211117_200928.jpg IMG_20211117_201008.jpg IMG_20211120_101640_995.jpg IMG_20211120_101640_989.jpg IMG_20211120_101641_008.jpg IMG_20211101_211357.jpg IMG_20211120_101641_017.jpg

Thanks for the pics! That a classic Manzanita build. Very clean and neat. :up:
Let us know how you like them and how your crossover tweaking goes.
Thanks! I think my next thing is to flush mount those tweeters. I think I'm hearing some defraction, I guess I could try felt first, but flush would look better...

I'm also going to work on the room before any XO changes.

I'm addicted to the quality of bass! I had no idea...

I am planning a project for a large room (22' X 22') and I'm looking for advice. I have seen recommendations for the original Manzanita and it doesn't seem to be a good idea for such a large room. So, would the Ultra be okay? I have read a large number of the posts in this thread and I've seen at least one post that recommended two of the GRS 15" drivers per side to provide acceptable SPL's in a large room. I would like to retain the simplicity of the Manzanita, but I would also like to achieve acceptable sound levels. I'm curious if any of you have struggled with a similar problem and what your solutions were.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Don’t know how i ot into this thread 137 pages on, but the OB a couple posts up looks a whole lot like the MJK passive baffle we did in 2010.

close-mjk-ob1.jpg

The woofers need to be a certain sensitivity above the FR, how much depends on how low you want to go, probably sugested in an earlier post.

Not sure what VIFA Michael references, the TC9 which is popular is really quite low.

Wired in parallel 2 15s are going to be 6dB more sensitive than one, where does the FR need to be? I have heard many can make some suggestions.

dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Seas Prestige FA22RCZ is very nice and easy to use on OB, but also $$$. I like the Eminence Beta-8A a lot, it is easy also easy to use on OB but does need a tweeter above 5K. The FaitalPRO 4FE35 4" is a nice driver and probably sensitive enough to keep up with 2x15 woofers. I have a few but haven't yet put them into a Manzanita double woofer rig.

Dave is the King of the fullrange, he'll know plenty.

None of these will need a complicated crossover, but they will need a crossover that is different than the ones described here. With the Faital 4" you could probably start with a stock crossover and tweak from there.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Seas is about 90dB. Need phase plugs. A shame to waste it’s bass capabilities on an OB. I like the Faital 3FE, haven’t heard the larger ones. They claim to be as sensitive as the SEAS. Alpair 10p or 12p would be about he same but pricey like the SEAS.

How much sensitivity advantage will the woofers need on an OB? And how sensitive are the ones being used?

dave

Last edited: