Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project
Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2019, 08:56 PM   #2071
in a mood is offline in a mood
diyAudio Member

John, first and foremost, thanks for sharing your designs and all this information with it… it’s appreciated big time!

I’m looking into building a pair of Manzanita’s and have a coupe of questions…

A big factor in choosing this design is portability. These speakers will be used in a number of different rooms - community centres, church halls, function rooms etc. Is it possible to build an adjustable crossover, so they can be tuned to each room as and when, and do you have any essentials/recommendations for this?

For wings, are there any modifications to the shape that would improve performance in the rooms mentioned? (with changing dimensions for each room, this is slightly vague, I know!)

Also, is it okay to cut holes to be used as handles in the wings, or would this have a negative impact on sound/performance?

I’ve only started properly looking into loudspeakers and building them in recent months… trying to give myself a bit of a crash course at the minute!
Old 14th May 2019, 10:20 PM   #2072
John Busch is offline John Busch  United States
diyAudio Member

Default A flexible Manzanita

In a mood... Thanks for you interest in the Manzanita... The Manzanita is primarily intended for small residential spaces... I am a bit concerned how it may perform in large volume rooms and or out doors. In areas with cubic volumes over, say 2,500 cu. ft. it could be a bit difficult to play at a useful level. Some of the areas you list would be 10 times or more the cubic volume. It may take 4 or more to maintain a useful acoustic output.

Tonal balance will be set by the distance from rear walls with 42" to 60" being ideal. With a clean 60 watts or so each, a pair, at one meter can generate about 100 db of output down to about 50 Hz. That 100 db is peak very short term output and assumes an average output of around 90 db.

Small handle(s) in each wing will have a modest negative effect, likely not noticed by most. Hope this info is helpful. John
Old 16th May 2019, 12:32 PM   #2073
in a mood is offline in a mood
diyAudio Member

Cheers John, this most definitely is helpful! Some definite essentials there in this crash course of mine...
Old 21st May 2019, 06:44 PM   #2074
Philimon is offline Philimon  United States
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

I know this is now off-topic but this is what happened.

The grs driver is completely suspended by zip tie. The baffle is from extra xps foam I had from another project. And a reused wall shelf (turned upside down) with middle shelf removed.
Old 21st May 2019, 07:03 PM   #2075
Philimon is offline Philimon  United States
diyAudio Member

Old 22nd May 2019, 09:34 PM   #2076
HaroldHill is offline HaroldHill  Canada
diyAudio Member

I love the industrial look. How do they sound?
Old 10th June 2019, 03:18 PM   #2077
diyAudio Member

In the Ultra build, is the woofer trap (0.4 mH inductor and 15uF cap in parallel) still recommended? In series with the 20mH iron core inductor.
Old 10th June 2019, 08:34 PM   #2078
diyAudio Member

The GRS woofer trap is definitely recommended.
Old 10th June 2019, 09:02 PM   #2079
diyAudio Member

Glad I asked! The only other modification I was going to make to the crossover schematic in post 1602 was the addition of a 0.1uF bypass cap in parallel with C1. Any other recommendations?
Old 10th June 2019, 09:30 PM   #2080
diyAudio Member

Yes the bypass is an easy, inexpensive upgrade. One nice thing is it is easy to play with the design once you have it up, broke in and running. Let us know how it goes. J

Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB projectHide this!Advertise here!