Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2019, 11:13 PM   #2051
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You're welcome! John should pop in to answer your other questions.
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:57 AM   #2052
leooki is offline leooki  Croatia
diyAudio Member

This is how I would like to build Ultra.
I thought (for better transparancy) that side panels goes in height only in woofer height
Further more, because of added thickness of baffle 1,4", hole on the rear side of Vifa driver would be open according to the picture.

All other dimensions and parametars of XO would be respected.
What do you thing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OB-LP1.JPG (54.8 KB, 178 views)
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:57 AM   #2053
leooki is offline leooki  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I have no problems with raw material expenses, I could also make front baffle wider or (and) side wigs deeper, although as I read here that SPL and FS are all depending and in corelation with this dimensions.
So, if you have any ideas about this approach, please, waiting for your response.
I can make a baffle whatever the size and dimension (regardind the project Ultra evolving by the time). I could try in Bast or Edge simulation and changing baffle sizes, speaker displacement and XO, but as I read here in all this posts, people here are so far ahead so far, and I just want to make best possible sound out of those drivers: Vifa TC9FD18-08 and Grs 15pf-8, Thank you in advance.
Old 23rd April 2019, 03:25 PM   #2054
John Busch is offline John Busch  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Ultra thoughts

Leooki.... Your proposed build - drawing look good. Yes, you can taper or truncate the rear wings above the GRS if you wish. The straight wings were a way to keep the original build as simple as possible. The Ultra baffle is wide enough to load the GRS down into the upper 30's and the Vifa down to its crossover based cut off. The wings on the wide baffle are shallow enough that cavity resonances are not a problem. Part of the wing requirement was structural. Again, keeping the build simple and sturdy. Look forward to hearing more about your build and results. Best J
Old 23rd April 2019, 04:56 PM   #2055
joztom is offline joztom  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

I have open say to you, you are not able to mix these mentioned two speakers for full range and excellent results. First, if mid has a resonance at 100Hz, you are forced to have filter on 200Hz min., then from 200 to about 2500hz you are about free with mid, then in tweeter area, upper than 2500Hz, mentioned mid are impossible to make cloud, rather than this, you will lost any of details in sound space building. I propose you to use this Grs 15pf-8 exclusive for mid only and add an Audax TW034 for 2500Hz and up. In opposite case you will be extremely disappointed.
Old 23rd April 2019, 05:26 PM   #2056
gabkw is offline gabkw  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joztom View Post
I have open say to you, you are not able to mix these mentioned two speakers for full range and excellent results. First, if mid has a resonance at 100Hz, you are forced to have filter on 200Hz min., then from 200 to about 2500hz you are about free with mid, then in tweeter area, upper than 2500Hz, mentioned mid are impossible to make cloud, rather than this, you will lost any of details in sound space building. I propose you to use this Grs 15pf-8 exclusive for mid only and add an Audax TW034 for 2500Hz and up. In opposite case you will be extremely disappointed.
You obviously have never heard these speakers before. I have many time thru the years at LSAF. These speakers do in fact sound very good and there are a LOT of happy builders out there.
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:51 PM   #2057
heinz1964 is offline heinz1964  Denmark
diyAudio Member

joztom

the thread/build has been going on now since 2007.

there are still people who build it.

Do you really believe that people would still use the design if it does not work?

best regards

uwe
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:53 PM   #2058
joztom is offline joztom  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

I respect any individual mention. Influence of massive woofer is in first impression huge. A month ago I was invited to heard like mentioned system (2-way OB in granite plate). Now we are preparing vital changes to get sound, this is something different from frequencies.
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:18 PM   #2059
phivates is online now phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

That will make a great separate thread from this one. Go for it!

Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB projectHide this!Advertise here!