Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

I'm interested in building a pair of Manzanitas as my first DIY project. (More on the idea behind it here in my introduction ).

I did some research, but still I'm not sure if my room is actually suited for OB speakers, as any speaker would be placed underneath the sloped ceiling/ walls. That on one side there is a window above and a full bookshelf to the side probably won't help regardless of the kind of speaker.

The picture below is taken from behind the listening position, which is about 3m from the speakers and just above this position is the small (0.5m) strip where the ceiling is lever before going down again. At the end of this wall is some soft furniture (couch/ bed).
The room has about 25sqm, walls are made of drywall.

IMG_2840.jpeg

Any thoughts, or even better experiences, if placing OB speaker in a room like this can work, would be highly appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi @Zaubberer ,
my experience with the Manzie tells me that the room behind the speakers would probably be to small.
I used my Manzies in about 1 m in front of the wall and at least in 1 m distance from the side wall.
But - as I don't know how such a room works with an OB (practically you have a funnel behind the speaker which can be good for the bass, or it can kill it, because with the Manzie you can't use the floor effect. In the midrange and treble you could loose the reflections from the rear wall.
It's just my opinion, other may see it different, so let's hope for further opinions.

@Plott Thank you for sharing your view/ expectation. I’m curious to see what others might think, but it might just be the case that this part of the room is too problematic for an OB.

In parallel I will think about possibilities of rearranging the room w/o significantly comprising the primary use of the room (it’s my office for up to 40h/week). The desktop is in the best spot so far between both windows and the ceiling on the left is too low for a couch to be useable.

IMG_2844.jpeg

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm interested in building a pair of Manzanitas as my first DIY project. (More on the idea behind it here in my introduction ).

I did some research, but still I'm not sure if my room is actually suited for OB speakers, as any speaker would be placed underneath the sloped ceiling/ walls. That on one side there is a window above and a full bookshelf to the side probably won't help regardless of the kind of speaker.

The picture below is taken from behind the listening position, which is about 3m from the speakers and just above this position is the small (0.5m) strip where the ceiling is lever before going down again. At the end of this wall is some soft furniture (couch/ bed).
The room has about 25sqm, walls are made of drywall.

View attachment 1285621

Any thoughts, or even better experiences, if placing OB speaker in a room like this can work, would be highly appreciated!
Looks like great oportunity for corner loaded horn subwoofers...

Reactions: 1 users