Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2019, 04:00 PM   #1931
John Busch is offline John Busch  United States
diyAudio Member

Default A couple Manzi thoughts

Boufos: Thanks for sharing info and pictures! Needless to say, the drivers will change and improve with time. How long can vary quite a bit. Sometimes just a few hours, sometimes several weeks. Does not seem to mater how they measure when new.

You may have a problem with the little Vifa rear reflections with it sitting down in the rear baffle well. This can lead to a peaky response in the lower treble. If you can, you may want to round the rear of the baffle cut out. If you do not have a router, you can use a wood file. A pain to do that way, but it can really yield improvements. Best J
Old 12th January 2019, 04:06 PM   #1932
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Busch View Post
If you can, you may want to round the rear of the baffle cut out. If you do not have a router, you can use a wood file. A pain to do that way, but it can really yield improvements. Best J
Very good point. A chamfer, if you can do it, would be even better
Old 12th January 2019, 04:10 PM   #1933
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Might be difficult to get down in there with a router, now that the wings are on. The tweeter is deep, opening up that hole some would help.
Old 12th January 2019, 06:33 PM   #1934
Boufos is offline Boufos
diyAudio Member

I have made the baffle out if 15mm baltic birch plywood sandwiched with 6mm HPL (High pressured laminate). At work we have a lot of scrap from these materials so i used some of it. To be honest when i glued them together I haven't noticed the part with the explanation about the backside of the mid-tweeter cutout being routed. But I did noticed it in later stage and that gave me some headache becouse the HPL plate is glued on the backside, maby it adds waight and stability at the baffle but it is a totaly not handy material to work it with handtools. Luckily at home i have a set of rotary grinder tools. I took a bowl shaped one and placed it on a electrical drill. It was a pain in the ... to do it, the result wasn't the most beautiful one but i did routed it . It's bowl shaped form and the angle of which i took the photo probably doesn't show it. Here will be a bit more visible i hope
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0464.jpg (1.03 MB, 264 views)

Last edited by Boufos; 12th January 2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12th January 2019, 06:45 PM   #1935
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
By network do you mean the baffle step compensation circuit? I don't know of any other networks that The Edge does. That can be dealt with in your crossover.

The Edge is good at helping you place your midrange and/or tweeter on the baffle.
Thanks Pano. I'll be using 2 of these per side and the big a$$ Heil on top. How close together should I put the woofers?

6-1/2" Poly Cone Midbass Woofer 4 Ohm

I plan on using the MiniDSP.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:03 PM   #1936
diyAudio Moderator

The lower you cross the woofers, the farther apart they can be. Do some moving around in Edge to see where the peaks and nulls are as you separate the woofers. Closer than a 1/4 wavelength is said to be optimal, but you can fudge that some.

FYI, you won't get much bass from 6.5" woofers on OB unless you use a lot of them.
Old 13th January 2019, 12:15 AM   #1937
diyAudio Member

I'm also building a pair of subwoofers at the same time.
Old 13th January 2019, 07:38 PM   #1938
diyAudio Member

Ok, change of plans. As I was falling asleep last night I thought I should try slot loaded open baffle so I woke up this morning and ordered 4 more drivers. I'll now have 4 drivers per side SLOBs with the Heil on top of the SLOBs.
Old 14th January 2019, 01:27 AM   #1939
diyAudio Member

I've been reading all I can about SLOB and I'm gathering that the slot dimention is not locked. Most of what I see is 1/4 to 1/3 of the total cone surface area of the 4 drivers.

Do I have that right?
Old 14th January 2019, 02:25 PM   #1940
diyAudio Moderator

Since slot loaded woofers are not the subject of this thread, it would be best to start your own. It's a subject worthy of its own thread.

Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB projectHide this!Advertise here!