Studio 200 tweeter replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I've been using ProAc Studio 200 for 12 years, and the tweeter seems to be going bad now. I hear some high-frequency distortion sound occasionally, and it sounds like the tweeter in bad shape. I unscrewed the driver to find out the model number and it is read:

25 TFFC-C
H563 - 6ohm

I know this driver is a Seas one, but their website or Madisound.com doesn't show this one. I guess I'll have to find the closest one among available Seas tweeters, and I need to find the one that will fit into this driver's place on this speaker. Could somebody help me to find a good substitute? Thank you.

Thank you all for your replies.

I contacted ProAc dealer in the US before, but they didn't provide information, and only tried to sell their overpriced 'custom' replacement drivers. That's why I am looking for 'generic' Seas replacement. To be accurate, I didn't contact ProAc headquarter in England.

Thanks for 25TFFC PDF URL. As I don't see the model name on Seas product table or Madisound catalog, I guess I will have to find out the mechanically compatible ones myself using the information. Am I right?

Regarding the advice of falling capacitors, both speakers are going bad, so I can't do that test. Is there other way to examine the crossover easily without oscilloscope?

I thought I've seen this post before, but it was about the ProAc 200 with the scan speak tweeter:

"
Several year ago my friend speaker is broken at left tweeter,the standard tweeter use scanspeak 9500,he order from scanspeak and get new one,but after we replace the driver,very different sound with the original pro ac scanspeak driver...than we order from pro ac with give our serial number.pro ac send the scanspeak 9500, same model with standard scanspeak...but the sound is very different,better than standard,sound stage back to focus,high is same in both speaker...that why you must replacement the driver if want 100 % original sound.
"

But to confirm the tweeter issue; I've got the 25TF and it is looks a lot like the 25T-family, and you could try the seas for the price. The T/S are allmost identical, so no problems expected there...

Thank you for your reply. I misunderstood your 'post' as the 'binding post' and thought you suggested to check the binding post. I will try to find a replacement for 25TFFC which seems discontinued. I found the replacement voice coil for 25TFFC at Madisound. I asked how I can replace only the part of the driver.

The US ProAc Rep is at ModAudio@aol.com. His name is Richard. He is VERY helpful and knowledgeable!

Just in case ProAc has them modified for their specs! Repairing with a kit might not sound the same!

I found when I needed Mid/woofers for my ProAc Studio I MKIIs they weren't much more that Scan-Speaks from Madisound, like $20 more for both shipped!

Good Luck!

Regards//Keith

Unfortunately for me, I remember ProAc distributor's quote 3 ~ 5 years ago for the tweeter was at least 3 times as expensive as Madisound's price on equivalent Seas Prestige tweeter now. Considering the drop of USD value, I am afraid it would be now at least 5 times as expensive as the generic one. I never got back to the distributor after I saw that outrageous quote.
I have a very powerful DSP equalizer and I believe it can correct the tweeter response deviation from its orginally intended one.

Madisound also supplies the rebuild kit and can rebuild them for you at a reasonable price too!

That would probably get you closest to what you had at a reasonable cost. If you do both, you will be done with this issue for a while and you might even like it better!

Regards//Keith

I went to their site to check and I see what I remembered. They sell and repair many of the ScanSpeak products (that's what are in my Studio I MK IIs) but I don't see anything about the rebuilding for Seas! I remember a few months back a guy said his kids pushed in the dust caps on his Studio 125s I think his were also ScanSpeaks and he rebuilt them himself. I don't know much about Seas but I would call Madisound, they were very helpful with my options! Sorry I mixed this up on you, it would be a nice option! But maybe they do so call them!

Good Luck!

Regards//Keith

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.