Sound domes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

A friend of mine has a handicapped child. To help the kid enjoy his music without disturbing others, he was looking for something like this:

http://www.sounddomes.com/20inch.htm

Has any of you experience in using such a device (I understand they are used in shops and exhibitions). What would be involved to build one ourselves?

Thanks for any help,

Jan Didden

A friend of mine has a handicapped child. To help the kid enjoy his music without disturbing others, he was looking for something like this:

Have handicapped kids less rights disturbiung others while einjoying their music ? :(

Back to on-topic: With the ones that I heard so far you can't talk of enjoying music. The sound was like telphone quality.

I'd raher suggest either headphones or something that is meant for listening in the closefield.

Narrow-beam radiation can also be done with arrays of small drivers if needed.

The electrostatic solution looks good (apart from the LF reproduction) but I guess it might be quite expensive.

Regards

Charles

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
We used that principle on an exhibition stand for EA games a good few years ago, only we had to get, (very expensive), custom made acrylic domes made. All you need is a parabolic section, I wonder if you could make something up using an old umbrella covered in paper mache or plaster impregnated bandages?

Use a small satellite dish or a large mixing bowl. Very cheap reflectors.
A very small driver in a little box at the focal point would provide quite directional sound.

The dish/ bowl could be painted with patterns, or white with one of those little motorized lamps shining on it.

Remember bass is less directional, you may need to filter out the low frequencies to reduce the disturbance to others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.