The Clarro alias Totem Arro Clone. Finished!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tres bien Francois

Excellent job. Tough routering those holes so close, eh? Time for some Crown Royal rare edition and a good 2 track recording:devilr:
Feels good don't it?
regards,
Jason
The two weakest links in the playback chain are the loudspeaker and the recording.

Re: Tres bien Francois

LaMa said:
Do they sound as nice as they look?

Yes and sorry for the picture quality. Someday I will buy a 4 megapixel digital camera :)

chris ma said:
Congrats,

Please let us know the details....
Chris
All the characteristic are close to the real Arro:
2 order linkwitz riley crossover with impedance compensation
Peerless drivers
oxygen-free 8ga copper wire
maple veneer
I did not use borosilicate since it was too much expensive
biamp capability

diypole said:
Excellent job. Tough routering those holes so close, eh? Time for some Crown Royal rare edition and a good 2 track recording:devilr:
Feels good don't it?
regards,
Jason
The two weakest links in the playback chain are the loudspeaker and the recording.

It was not so hard, I did some testing on scrap MDF.
I prefer Remy Martin VSOP :)

kanaddict said:
Félicitation encore une fois !

Your speaker look great and will respect any WAF ;-)

I hope that one day I'll have the opportunity to visit you and listen to your "Babies" !

Regards,

Daniel

The WAF at home is very good; she didn't complaint when I told her that I will probably build a 9 feet el-pipo :) She find these Arro very cute (probably because they are small).

My familly live in Quebec city and I drive there almost once a month so that's not a problem to organize something.

The hardest part was...the black base. High-gloss black is a pain, there is probably 20 coats of paint (sanded with No. 600 sandpaper) and I still see small dirt.

For the el-pipo, man, this thing is huge to bring back from the Home-Depot... People at the home-depot will think that I am crasy to make cement in the middle of winter...

François said:
The hardest part was...the black base. High-gloss black is a pain, there is probably 20 coats of paint (sanded with No. 600 sandpaper) and I still see small dirt.

For my Fredon, I was planning to paint the base and the top using High-gloss black. I decided to try on one base and soon realised that it would be a pain in the a.... So, I decided to use black melamine paint. Using the appropriate foam roller, I had very good result. Not as beautifull as High-gloss black but still the base and top look very nice.

For the el-pipo, man, this thing is huge to bring back from the Home-Depot... People at the home-depot will think that I am crasy to make cement in the middle of winter...

Don't worry, they are use to see peoples buy these tube during winter. The construction guy don't have the choice, they can't wait until the summer to build what they have to buil
;)

Next time you come to Quebec, just e-mail me a few days before your trip and I'll try to get a free night & invite you to listen to the Fredon. Your comment would be more then welcome. Maybe I could spin one of those black plate we love so much ;)

François said:
Yes sure!
I will be in Quebec city for the Valentine's Day (week-end) but this week-end is already reserved :)

Same for me, my wife and my little girl will get all my attention ;-)

The bad thing with vinyls is that this is not easy to bring many of them.

No need to bring some, I have a good collection. Of course you'll need to bring a few CD's that you know well to be able to make some comment about the way the Fredons sound.

E-mail me when you'll make another trip to Quebec city !

Regards,

Two hours ago, I had the chance to listen to the real Totem Arro for about 20 minutes and I found the sound very similiar to my Clone. I am very pleased. I have seen some minor difference in the box design so I will probably make a version 2 and sell these one. I have also notice something else but I will start a new thread on this subject. Stay tuned!.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.